Desktop Video/Question re resizing PC videos

I am eventually going to be having storage-problems on my PC (windows 8.1). I have searched online for a free or paid software that allows one to compress my vlc video-files so that they take up much less space, while at the same time not sacrificing quality. So far, winrar etc. seem to only reduce video-files by  an average of 0.84%, while others such as the deepnut software I am currently using, seem to actually  increase the size! No doubt the latter happened because I chose to install at the highest quality setting.

Short of buying yet another external 4TB hard drive to store my multitude of vlc video files, is there some good paid software that can compress my many video-files in batches  to a much smaller size without compromising quality? Cloud-storage has awful reports about the sheer slowness of the data-transfer, usb sticks at 1TB or more are very rare and hideously expensive and CDs cannot store much data right now(700MB?). Any help appreciated! Geoff

I haven't found anything that does a good job of compressing video files without stepping on them pretty badly.

The good news is that external drives aren't super expensive anymore. A quick Google search shows 4TB drives for less than $150. That's your best bet, unfortunately.

I know it's not the answer you're looking for but I hope this was helpful. Good luck

Desktop Video

R. Ferguson

Some technical knowledge in connectivity, systems, cameras, image/video software. I am better at project development, scripting, organization, conceptualization. I know Premiere, Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, AfterEffects, some Avid, and some others but am no real expert on them. I also have knowledge in multimedia.

Wel over 20yrs of various TV/video production experience. B.S. degree in TV Production from James Madison Univ. Taught TV production at a community college for 5 yrs.

Bachelor of Science Degree in Communications (Radio, TV, Film); James Madison Univ., Harrisonburg, VA

Telly Awards, Communicator Awards, Ava Award, Virginia Community College Associatiopn awards, National Council for MArketing and Public Relations Awards, CAB Award, and others.