Desserts/Cake

Rachel, Let's Make Cupcakes wrote at 2013-07-28 10:37:03
Also, it's possible that your fondant is too thick and that the weight is putting pressure on the top of the cake, forcing the filling out of the sides. A thinner layer of fondant should help, as would chilling the filled and crumb coated cake for ten minutes before covering. Don't chill too much, as the cold inside the cake will cause the cake to sweat when covered.

Rather than splitting your cake in two and adding a thick layer of filling, split your cake into three or four with a thin layer in between each one. This should be more stable

Depending which country you're in, try Chocopan icing - it's like Fondant but made from chocolate and can be rolled twice as thin as fondant without ripping or cracking.

Alternatively, try ganache - it sets very hard and shouldn't splurge out. Fill and coat your cake, use a side scraper then hot knife. Leave to set hard overnight. You shouldn't need to refrigerate, unless your climate is very hot.

Cover the next morning and you shouldn't have splurging.

Hope this helps!

Desserts

Frances