Desserts/Saving Frosting. What can I do?

Question
Hi Deborah!

I'm trying to salvage some frosting I made last night. This was the recipe I followed:

5 Tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup butter (2 sticks), room temperature (see note)
1 cup granulated white sugar (not powdered sugar)

Although it tastes good, unfortunately it tastes way too strongly of butter which is a shame. I don't like to throw food out (unless it was expired, of course) so what could I do to get rid of that butter taste?

I remember reading somewhere an egg might do the trick but I'd rather not add eggs as my sister in law is pregnant and I wouldn't want her to snack on something harmful.

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated :)

Answer
Hi, Rose,

I was going to suggest adding powdered sugar, but I'm not sure you can get American powdered sugar in Bahrain, and my experience internationally hasn't found many other products that even come close to the consistency of the US confectioner's sugar ... but, you can try that.  I realize that the recipe calls for granulated sugar but I'm trying to find something that will soak up some of the flavor for you.  It might mean you add extra milk to keep it a spreadable consistency.

Did you use real butter or margarine?  I'm thinking that someone might have put too much butter flavoring in it if it's not real butter.

Regarding eggs, can you get Egg Beaters there?  They would be safe.  I'm not familiar with adding them to this frosting but it sounds plausible.

Please get back to me with your thoughts.  I'll be thinking about it today and see if I can come up with another idea.  

Debba

Desserts

Deborah Robinson