I'm looking for a traditional white wedding cake frosting. I have one I used for years but my husband says it just doesn't taste like what he remembers the frosting on most wedding cakes. The one I use now is xxxpowder, Crisco, salt, white vanilla, beaten real good.It tastes really good but just not what he remembers.This would probably be an old recipe since my husband is 73 and is thinking of ones he had when he was in his 30's or so.I would appreciate any help you could give. Thanks Pat

Hi, Pat,

This can be a difficult one, since that's the recipe I use, too.  One suggestion that comes to mind right now:  Make up a small amount of frosting (as small as you can go and still keep the ratio static), put the salt in half and not in the other, and let him taste them.  It may be that he's finding the salted recipe far sweeter than he remembers, because the salt somehow brings that quality forward.  Then you might be able to put a tiny amount of salt in the salt-free, to tweak it, if he finds that batch more like he remembers but not exactly, to see if it gets better or worse.

Do you use milk or water as the liquid - you can switch to the one you haven't been using and see what that does.  I usually use water.

Almond flavoring vs. vanilla ... while I NEVER use anything but vanilla, I know some people are looking for that almond flavor.  And some people use both.

Here are some websites and a recipe that might give you a new jumping-off point.  I hope you have some friends to help you eat all this, once you get them all tested!  And I hope one of them matches his memories.

Wilton Buttercream Frosting
   1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
   1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
   1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
   4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
   2 tablespoons milk

Let me know if you need something more.

Deborah Robinson

I cook for fun and relaxation - not into professional cooking. But I have a great supply of recipes - desserts as well as other goodies. If I don`t know of the recipe for which you are searching I enjoy trying to find new things. Please DO NOT ask me anything about FONDANT or MARZIPAN ... I don't have a clue - have never used them.

I have cooked since I was 5 years old (over 50 years now) and enjoy cooking for family and friends. I decorate cakes for birthdays to weddings and everything in between.   I collect recipes from around the world (I live and work overseas) and enjoy trying new foods and cooking techniques.

BA in Elementary Education / Speech; MEd in Reading and Language Arts; Principal K-12 Certification