Desserts/tapioca

Question
Is minute tapioca and granulated (french) tapioca the same? Mother used the minute tapioca in her apple pies and they were great.

Answer
Hi, Marian,

I have explored the possibilities with granulated tapioca and have ascertained that it will probably work the same as the Minute Tapioca.  If the granules seem bigger than the Minute, you could pop them into a coffee grinder (cleaned out by grinding stale bread, rice or some other bland item that will clear the coffee / pepper or other strong tastes out of it) and make a powder.  It will work fine that way.

If you are able to purchase tapioca starch, that would be ideal.  In each case, you treat it just as your mother did for her pies.  It's interchangeable.

Debba

Desserts

Deborah Robinson