Is minute tapioca and granulated (french) tapioca the same? Mother used the minute tapioca in her apple pies and they were great.

Hi, Marian,

I have explored the possibilities with granulated tapioca and have ascertained that it will probably work the same as the Minute Tapioca.  If the granules seem bigger than the Minute, you could pop them into a coffee grinder (cleaned out by grinding stale bread, rice or some other bland item that will clear the coffee / pepper or other strong tastes out of it) and make a powder.  It will work fine that way.

If you are able to purchase tapioca starch, that would be ideal.  In each case, you treat it just as your mother did for her pies.  It's interchangeable.

Deborah Robinson

I cook for fun and relaxation - not into professional cooking. But I have a great supply of recipes - desserts as well as other goodies. If I don`t know of the recipe for which you are searching I enjoy trying to find new things. Please DO NOT ask me anything about FONDANT or MARZIPAN ... I don't have a clue - have never used them.

I have cooked since I was 5 years old (over 50 years now) and enjoy cooking for family and friends. I decorate cakes for birthdays to weddings and everything in between.   I collect recipes from around the world (I live and work overseas) and enjoy trying new foods and cooking techniques.

BA in Elementary Education / Speech; MEd in Reading and Language Arts; Principal K-12 Certification