Desserts/Fudge icing for 3 layer yellow cake

Question
QUESTION: I usually cook a recipe that I poor over 3 layers split into 6 layers.  It is very rich and sets up sticky to the touch.  What can I do to insure the icing is shiny but not sticky?  I would also like a frosting for 3 layers not split that a child would like.   Would you recommend a confectioners sugar icing over boiled sugar and chocolate icing?  Thank you.

ANSWER: Carolyn,

I would need to see the recipe for the sticky icing to see if I can determine what you might do to make it shiny and not sticky.  I'm intrigued ...

Icing kids like really is quite unpredictable.  You can do a confectioner's sugar in just about any flavor - even chocolate.  You just need to melt some or add powder and some form of fat (oil or butter).  These icings tend to be very sweet.  They are certainly MY preference.  But, boiled frosting is another favorite for me ... especially when it gets a little crunchy after sitting a bit.  This is less sweet and often popular.

But lately I've been seeing more cakes with a whipped cream and sugar frosting - I don't have the recipe so I can't tell you what is in it (can get it if you decide you need it), but it's way tamer in the sweet department.

If this is for one of your children and his/her friends, I'd ask him/her what the favorite is and just go with that.  If the guests aren't happy with it, they can always scrape it off.  Most of all, you want the special person to want whatever you make.

So, get back to me with the recipe and any other questions for clarification.

Debba

QUESTION: Debra, thank you for your response.  This is the recipe I used for Thanksgiving and it was a disaster.   2 sticks butter, 1/4 cup cocoa, 4 cups sugar, almost a whole can evaporated milk (large).

Put everything in a thick saucepan,  bring to a boil  for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly until spoon has no sugar on it and flakes off spoon.  Pour over layers quickly as it will set up fast.  

I must have let it cook to long because the icing flaked off the sides when sliced.  Definitely looked like fudge.  There was nothing shiny about it.

Maybe what I'm looking for is a ganache, but it seems so thin when poured over layers.  Thank you again.  Carolyn Vinesw

Answer
Carolyn, I'm so sorry to hear that your cake didn't turn out as you had hoped, but I'm sure it was delicious, nonetheless.  

Give this site a peek - I think it might hold the answers you seek.

Debba

http://savorysweetlife.com/2009/08/simply-glorious-chocolate-ganache-recipe-3-wa

Desserts

Deborah Robinson