Desserts/Eggs & Baking

The other morning I was making a cheesecake for that evenings dessert. Following my favorite recipe I pulled out 5 lg eggs. In adding the eggs I cracked the last one open and its was double yoke.

Would you count the double yoke as 2 eggs? Should you just pull out the second yolk and toss? Or would it just depend on what you are making?

Thanks, Lisa

Dear Lisa,

It does depend on what you are making. I recently was baking cheesecakes. When you buy fresh eggs this happens a lot in the springtime and I recently have been getting a lot of double yolks. With my cheesecakes I still count it as one egg and I always have good results. I count it as one in almost all my recipes because the yolks are usually very small.

Best Regards, Fran  

I started cooking and baking when I was eight years old which gives me over fifty years of experience. My love has always been desserts. Although I am sure there is a question out there that I cannot answer, I have yet to come across it.

My experience includes both domestic and professional. My husband and I both came from large families and we had four children of our own. I have cooked and baked for all of the holidays, birthdays, graduations and weddings. Professionally, I trained in a French restaurant and worked at various country clubs and at the Grand Floridian Hotel at Walt Disney World.

I have several articles and restaurant reviews published on ezine article, buzzle, article biz, and several others. I have authored two cookbooks and am currently working on a third.

I am certified by master chef Paul Bucose.