Desserts/Milk Powder Woes

Hello Ms. Robinson, I hope you can help me. I found a recipe on called Peanut Butter Candy submitted by Abbie.  It's a no-bake.

Ingredients are: 1 C Peanut Butter
1 cup Corn Syrup (looking for recipes to use most or all of our syrup before it goes bad)
1 1/4 Cup Milk Powder
1 1/4  cups confectioners' sugar

You mix the peanut butter and syrup together until well blended then ad the powder and sugar until smooth then create balls on wax paper to set then store in fridge.

We do not have milk powder - it is not a staple in this house. Could I still get something tasty if I omit it or add the same amount of more powdered sugar?  We are really tight on money right now and I do not have the funds to buy any other ingredients - I have to use what's in the house.  I have a little canister of buttermilk powder but I doubt I have 1 1/4 cups worth in the canister.

I've looked online with no luck of a substitution since I am trying to substitute so much. I would appreciate any advice or tips you have.  I expect I will likely have to find an alternate recipe that uses 1 cup of the corn syrup (and without having to buy extra ingredients)- that or I shouldn't worry about the syrup and let it expire.  The syrup best by date is like next month or so.

Thank you in advance for any help at all.

Dear Sam,

First of all, the SELL BY date and the BEST BY date are two VERY different things.  The sell by is the last day the stores can keep it on the shelf.  But the shelf life of something like that is YEARS!  So don't worry about any expiration.  They are required to give some sort of date, but that doesn't mean it will be bad if that date goes by.  If you see mold in the syrup, throw it out.  Otherwise, it's fine.

Regarding the milk powder, that's another matter.  Talk to your grocery stores.  You might be able to substitute powdered coffee creamer.  I think it would give you the best results.  But most stores do carry powdered milk.  You can also order it online via Amazon or some other venue.  

I hope this helps.

Deborah Robinson

I cook for fun and relaxation - not into professional cooking. But I have a great supply of recipes - desserts as well as other goodies. If I don`t know of the recipe for which you are searching I enjoy trying to find new things. Please DO NOT ask me anything about FONDANT or MARZIPAN ... I don't have a clue - have never used them.

I have cooked since I was 5 years old (over 50 years now) and enjoy cooking for family and friends. I decorate cakes for birthdays to weddings and everything in between.   I collect recipes from around the world (I live and work overseas) and enjoy trying new foods and cooking techniques.

BA in Elementary Education / Speech; MEd in Reading and Language Arts; Principal K-12 Certification