Desserts/Calzone Dough

Question
Hello Francis,

I am trying to find a good dough recipe for calzone. The thing is, I'm in a foreign country that's considered Third World, and in a town that doesn't have much selection when it comes to baking goods. This is what I have access to...

Instant yeast.

All-purpose flour.

Cornstarch.

And staples. (sugar, salt, etc. )

Do you know of a good recipe for me? Also, I prefer canola oil over EVOO.

I've been told I should roll my dough out very thin, but I was wondering if this is really necessary. I mean, like pizza lovers, I believe there are those who would prefer thin rolled, and those like myself, who would like a more thicker bread for the calzone. And I would think it would help keep the fillings in better as well. Am I wrong?

Thank you:)

~Rich

Answer
It sounds like you have all the ingredients to make dough for calzones; it is basically a pizza crust dough. I agree with you about making the dough a little thick like a thick crust pizza. The following recipe makes one large pizza; After stuffing you can fold it over or make smaller calzones. Sometimes I like to add a little garlic salt and oregano to the dough for added flavor; it also makes good bread sticks.

PIZZA OR CALZONE DOUGH RECIPE
1 Tablespoon dry yeast
1/3 Cup warm water (110 to 112F degrees)
1/3 Cup cooking oil
2/3 Cup water
1 Teaspoon salt
1/2 Teaspoon black pepper OPTIONAL
Flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water; add oil, 2/3 cup water, salt and pepper.
Add enough flour until a soft dough forms; knead dough until smooth.
Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in bulk about 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
Roll out or press dough to desired size; add desired fillings on one side.
Brush a little water around edges of dough, fold dough over and pinch to seal.
Place calzone on lightly oiled baking sheet.
With a sharp knife cut a few slits in the top to let the steam escape during baking.
The baking time depends on the size you make; 1 large might be 45 to 50 minutes.(Meats should be precooked)
Bake until crust is a nice brown and crusty.
NOTE: If you use this for pizza, the crust is good when prebaked for 10 minutes ate 450F degrees; then add toppings.

Desserts

Frances