Desserts/Cake Pan Material

Question
Hi Deborah,

I'm trying to buy a 10" cake pan to put my 9" spring form pan in before I cook my cheesecake in a water bath (as seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68htVeDaYh4).  Just wondering what material the 10" cake pan should be or what is being used in the video?

I see the typical choices are stainless steel, Silver Anodized aluminum and hard Anodized aluminum.

Thank you for your time!

Answer
They generally are made of aluminum ... stainless tends to be much more expensive ... you can get ones made for heavy use or something that's more light weight.  Personally, I prefer to get a heavier pan so I can use it for other things when I cook.  You really just need to find what is JUST large enough to fit your Springform pan ... it could be a disposable tin foil pan all the way up to William's Sonoma's best cake pans!  Just be sure to have that inch or so around the pan to protect it from the water ... I'm guessing you COULD go to something a bit bigger, if you had to.  In fact, you COULD use a square pan if the springform fits in OK, as long as that square pan fits in the pan you are using for the waterbath.

If you plan to use a dishwasher on the pans anytime in the future, check to see if they are dishwasher safe.  I purchased some beautiful jelly roll pans and popped them into the dishwasher - what a disaster!  Now, the pans are quite usable, but they lost their luster.  With a bit of scouring, they improved, but will never be back to what they were.  Now I check VERY carefully.  I've never had to worry before because I never had a dishwasher - but now I do.

Sounds like you are going to have fun.  Anything that sufficiently protects the Springform is good enough.  

Debba

Desserts

Deborah Robinson