Desserts/How much flour for carrot cake

Hi Deborah-

Doing a test run on my Aunt's carrot cake that she would make for the holidays before she passed. My cousin let me borrow the recipe card from her file.

Problem is her 1s and 2s look a lot alike and with 2 of the ingredients I can't tell what the amount is. 1st is the flour, for a 9X13 pan would it be 1 or 2 cups of flour? 2nd is the cinnamon, 1 or 2 teaspoons? It also has 4 eggs and 2 cups sugar (I can read the "2" on this) plus some other minor ingredients and of course carrots.

Idea on what the proper amount should be of the flour and cinnamon?

Hi, Jim,

You are so fortunate to have that recipe in front of you.  Of course, if you can't read it, and she's no longer there to consult, you are in a bit of a bind.  Is there anyone else in the family who might be familiar with the recipe or be more acquainted with her writing who could decipher what it is?  Whatever you do, MAKE A COPY of that recipe before you do anything else so it won't be lost forever if something gets spilled on it.

I just looked at 6 or 8 well-liked carrot cake recipes online and each recipe used at least 2 cups of flour (a few used a bit more) and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon (one used 1 1/2 tsps.)  If you send me a copy of the recipe, I could do some other comparisons or you can do it yourself --- is my go-to site --- they have hundreds of carrot cake recipes.  There, you or I can check to see the ratio of carrots to flour and cinnamon to other ingredients.  You may even find that exact recipe!

So, if you don't feel savvy for baking comparisons or you just need me to do it, send me a copy of the recipe.  Otherwise, I'll set you free to explore.  I hope your cake lives up to your memories.  Make a point of writing down exactly what you did this time so you can tweak it if it doesn't match your memories (a little less/more flour / a little less/more cinnamon) but only change ONE ingredient with each try so you can establish the key ingredient.

I hope this helps.  Get back to me if you have further questions.

Deborah Robinson

I cook for fun and relaxation - not into professional cooking. But I have a great supply of recipes - desserts as well as other goodies. If I don`t know of the recipe for which you are searching I enjoy trying to find new things. Please DO NOT ask me anything about FONDANT or MARZIPAN ... I don't have a clue - have never used them.

I have cooked since I was 5 years old (over 50 years now) and enjoy cooking for family and friends. I decorate cakes for birthdays to weddings and everything in between.   I collect recipes from around the world (I live and work overseas) and enjoy trying new foods and cooking techniques.

BA in Elementary Education / Speech; MEd in Reading and Language Arts; Principal K-12 Certification