Desserts/Stamped Gingerbread Pan

Hi there! I'm planning on making gingerbread with my little sister today, but we have one problem: we don't own any cookie cutters. None. The closest thing we have are two pans stamped with gingerbread men and women. They are indented into the pan, and you basically smush the dough into the hole. My question is, how should I grease this pan to avoid sticking? Parchment paper isn't an option, since we don't have any and I don't want to brave the crowds today. Should we even use this pan? We could also just grab some juice glasses, although our cookies wouldn't be as pretty. Thank you so much!

Hi Julia,

First of all - use Pam or similar preparation to keep things from sticking.  Butter, shortening and similar things work too, but I find that the sprays are ideal.

I suggest you find a coloring book with one you like or go online to find the outline of what you want - trace it on some paper and then you can cut it on cardboard or something more firm if you have it.  Then you cut around it with a knife and carefully slide the cookie onto a pancake turner to get it to the baking sheet.  You can smooth out the edges if your knifing marks are jagged.  

If you are at all artistic, you can draw from memory or copy something from a website that shows pictures.

Good luck - and the next time you go out, you want to purchase that cutter for next year.

Deborah Robinson

I cook for fun and relaxation - not into professional cooking. But I have a great supply of recipes - desserts as well as other goodies. If I don`t know of the recipe for which you are searching I enjoy trying to find new things. Please DO NOT ask me anything about FONDANT or MARZIPAN ... I don't have a clue - have never used them.

I have cooked since I was 5 years old (over 50 years now) and enjoy cooking for family and friends. I decorate cakes for birthdays to weddings and everything in between.   I collect recipes from around the world (I live and work overseas) and enjoy trying new foods and cooking techniques.

BA in Elementary Education / Speech; MEd in Reading and Language Arts; Principal K-12 Certification