Desserts/Gummy

Question
http://candy.about.com/od/gumgelatinbasedcandy/r/gummyworms.htm

I would like to make gummy snacks but haven't quite figured the best recipe to make anything nearly identical to store bought gummy worms or bears.

I used the above recipe as a template ignoring the second batch for layering colors. Basically I did:

2 tbsp of knox unflavored gelatin
2 tbsp of water (I sometimes use part of juice to reduce total liquid)

2 tbsp light corn syrup
3 tbsp sugar
1/3 cup juice

I generally don't taste the juice with this recipe. Even with 2/3 cups not a strong flavor. 1.25 cups taste is much stronger but it has a more jello than gummy consistency. For juice I've used fruit punch or orange crush because it is more candy flavor. I can't quite overwhelm the gawdy flavor of the "unflavored" gelatin. I read some of the ingredients of store bought gummy worms and it included coconut oil, apple juice concentrate, sodium citrate, citric acid, and carnauba wax. Personally I think they could be less  waxy with less coconut flavor but generally would like my recipe a lot closure to store bought. Any suggestions?

Answer
It sounds like you are on the right track with your recipe but to have a stronger flavor you will have to use oil. Depending on which brand of oil you use each batch should only take a drop or 2 of the oil. I use this all the time in my hard candy for Christmas. It gives a wonder flavor.

Let us know how it turns out.

Best Regards,

Frances

Desserts

Frances