Desserts/lemon meringue pie

I made a lemon meringue pie but the meringue pulled away from the sides as the filling seeped a lot of liquid. I've taken off the meringue and soaked up the excess liquid, can i put more meringue on and bake again? or will more liquid come out?

Dear Clayton,

In answer to your questions, I'd say you certainly CAN put another meringue on top but the results will probably be the same.  The following info will help explain why.

I love when men are tackling things like this.  We all complain of the same things, so your plea is not new to me.  I have a number of websites that address these problems and will share those with you.  While they pretty much say the same thing, each one has a small variation or two that can make the difference.  If you are not keen on reading them all, here they are in a nutshell:

1.  Put meringue ONLY on hot filling and spread meringue so it completely touches the crust.

2.  Make sure you use the finest sugar you can find and make sure it is totally dissolved.

3.  A small amount of cornstarch and cream of tartar might be helpful when whipping whites.

4.  Brown the meringue with a torch or on broil in the oven ... if you plan to COOK the whites, read carefully, although when putting them on a hot pie, the steam will cook the whites from the bottom up and the browning will take care of the rest.

5.  Make your pies on days that aren't humid. Humidity is death to meringue pies --- causes them to weep no matter what you do!

Best of luck to you.  And remember, even if it weeps, it still tastes delicious.  Focus on the flavor.  There is not a cook I know who would make disparaging remarks of weeping.  

All my best,

Deborah Robinson

I cook for fun and relaxation - not into professional cooking. But I have a great supply of recipes - desserts as well as other goodies. If I don`t know of the recipe for which you are searching I enjoy trying to find new things. Please DO NOT ask me anything about FONDANT or MARZIPAN ... I don't have a clue - have never used them.

I have cooked since I was 5 years old (over 50 years now) and enjoy cooking for family and friends. I decorate cakes for birthdays to weddings and everything in between.   I collect recipes from around the world (I live and work overseas) and enjoy trying new foods and cooking techniques.

BA in Elementary Education / Speech; MEd in Reading and Language Arts; Principal K-12 Certification