Desserts/Help with Friendship Cake recipe

Question
Hello. Years ago we made Friendship Cake, with fermented fruit which took 30 days to "make", leaving 2 starters to give to friends & 1 to use yourself to make another batch of fruit for the cakes. It is delicious! Anyway, my old recipe from 1990's says not to refrigerate the starter, but you do have 3 days to start the next batch of fruit after draining the starter off. The new recipe I found on allrecipes.com was almost exactly the same as my old one, but states any left over starter could be frozen until you are ready to start again. I have taken out a frozen starter & added 1/2 cup sugar to see if it will start fermenting, before I add another 2 cups sugar & can of peaches (first adder of the 30-day span to ferment). Would you be able to advise how I will know if this is working before going ahead with the recipe? The starter from the freezer was only thickened in the freezer, not solid due to alcohol content. It is room temp now & looks fine, just don't know how freezing temp could affect the fermentation start-up. Any advice would be great. If you want to view the recipe it is at http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Thirty-Day-Friendship-Cake/
Thanks & I appreciate your willingness to help. This makes a great cake if you want to try. A friend is trying it with a gluten-free cake mix, but will be 30 days from Sunday before she can bake.

Answer
I'm sorry, Holly, that this got hidden and not answered in a timely manner.  

Any Friendship Cake I have made has frozen without any problems.  You've probably already discovered that.  Refrigerating just slows the process down --- freezing it should stop it until you are ready to roll again.  

So, I hope this gives you the reassurance you needed, even after the fact.

Debba

Desserts

Deborah Robinson