Desserts/Gold icing

Question
QUESTION: I have read up a little on metallic icings and haven't been able to find them. I guess some very fancy wedding cakes are sometimes made with gold or silver icing. I went to a bakery and they were unfamiliar with gold icing and suggested I go to an art supply store. I've read 22 to 24 karat gold lead is pure enough to be completely edible, but how it gets incorporated into icings I don't know for sure. And I donít entirety trust art stores for edible materials. lol. Know anything I could try?

ANSWER: Hi, James,

Boy, I've never heard of that - and when I hear the word lead, it makes me extremely wary.  You might try to contact Wilton ... they are VERY helpful and I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.  A search online will point you in the right direction.

Debba

QUESTION: That was a typo. Gold leaf as in what the Greeks used to guild their statues. Basically foil. Is Wilton the only frosting company you know of?

Answer
Yes, Wilton is my go-to cake decorating spot.  Where I often shop in Ohio, there are some local places that cater to cake decorators . . . you might want to do a search for that sort of thing in your area.  I know they carried a lot of things and they were most helpful in finding things I wanted.  Or find someone else who decorates cakes in your area and ask them.  If there is an extension course on cake decorating, those teachers are good resources, too.

Debba  

Desserts

Deborah Robinson