Detroit Tigers/Larry Herdon/Home Run

Larry wrote at 2010-02-01 05:02:13
Larry Herndon hit the facing of the upper deck directly above the 440 ft. sign at Tiger Stadium on April 6, 1987, opening day for the Tigers. No one has ever hit the scoreboard there.  

jerome wrote at 2010-02-06 17:35:18
larry herndon hit that ball into the upper deck center field bleachers.what a shot that was.i bielieve the final score was 1-0 and played in 1984.i was at that game.

Mark wrote at 2011-08-25 05:02:46
I was at the game. I believe it was in '87. The ball didn't hit the scoreboard but hit the facing up the upper deck in dead center on a line drive and appeared still be rising. It is still the hardest hit ball I've ever seen.  

Roger C wrote at 2012-05-24 03:08:16
I was at the opener at Tiger Stadium in 1987. The temp was 35 degrees. Larry Herndon hit a line shot off the second deck facade, 40 feet above the 440 foot sign in dead center. I still remember the sound of the impact of ball on metal, as I was sitting right below the impact point. Alan Trammell refers to this one as the most impressive HR he ever saw, Gibson's included. 500 footer easily. RC in California

Jmac wrote at 2013-07-15 23:57:38
I remember this home run. I also remember an interview with Sparky Anderson after the game where he said it was the hardest hit baseball he's ever seen in his entire baseball career.

Peter G wrote at 2014-03-26 21:34:09
I watched this line-drive homerun rocket on TV.  440 feet to dead center and it was still going up.  Tiger broadcasters Art Kell and Al Kaline could not contain their excitement in the booth.  I'll never forget this...

gshiffmlb wrote at 2015-11-12 18:07:39
I'm a Yankee fans and was going to college at U-M at the time, so my friends and I went to this game (April 6, 1987) and sat in the CF bleachers.  To this day, I still talk about that Herndon homer, easily the hardest shot I have ever witnessed in person.  Yankees eventually won in 10 innings, 2-1.

DRass45 wrote at 2016-01-06 20:38:07
Friends of mine just asked me about the longest HR I had ever given up so I knew this one had to I of course Googled and ran across your comments! Fun to read about this now that I live in Michigan and have been asked about the 'Herndon HR' I gave up!  

Detroit Tigers

I can answer most questions regarding Detroit Tigers History relating to Parks (Bennett Field/Navin Field/Briggs Stadium/Tiger Stadium and Comerica Park), Players and Managers, as well as, current Tiger questions. Please read the instructions to the questioneer before submitting a question, as I am generally not able to help you in memerobilia values and former or current tiger whereabout, contact info, etc. questions. Also, if would like to know where you can purchase Tiger Stadium seats, please look at websites, such as Ebay and Craigslist, they will have what you're looking for. Thank you.

The majority of my experience comes from my years of being a fan of the team and the many articles/books that I have read concerning the issues. For my own sake, if I becomed stumped on a question, the internet is a great tool for recieving information.

I graduated from a four year university, with a B.S. degree.