Digital Photography/Lens

I bought A 57 with kit lens from your GIP showroom. Now i am looking for telephoto zoom lens. I have checked sony has introduced 55-300 lens but i don't know if it is available in india. On other hand tamron is also having 70-300 USD lens.
Or shall i opt for tamron 18-270 pzd.
Which one do you recommend? Please give your expert advice.

ANSWER: Hi Harsh

Thank you for purchasing your camera from our store.

The Sony 55-300 is readily available with us now. As for the choice between the 3 Lenses you have mentioned, i would like to elaborate.

In case you want to retain your existing 18-55, you can go for the Tamron 70-300 USD or the Sony 70-300 or the Sony 55-300. Out of these, the best value for money would be the Sony 75-300 (Rs.13990), but the Sony 55-200 (Rs.19990) would be a better overall buy. The Tamron is better than the Sony 75-300 in terms of build quality & performance, but the Sony 55-300 matches up to the Tamron and is wider by 15 mm as well.

Considering the benefits and the cost difference, i would wholeheartedly suggest the Sony 55-300.

Please feel free to get in touch for any more clarifications.

Thanx for your valuable suggestion. Please also give your recommendation on sigma 70-300 apo dg macro lens.

How is this lens in terms of performance, optic quality, autofocus compared to sal55300.

And how is sigma presence for after sale service in ncr.

Hey Harsh

The Sigma 70-300 APO (Apochromatic) is a really good lens, where is the APO is the equivalent of ED (Extra Dispersion) lenses of Sony & Nikon, which minimizes Colour Aberration. The APO costs twice as much as the standard one in Sigma or Tamron, which gets it in the Sony 55-300 price bracket. The Sony 55-300 uses SAM (Smooth Autofocus Motor) & ED Glass elements.

At almost similar costs, i would suggest the Sony as it is better in terms of optics & much faster & more silent in focusing as well. The warranty support for Sigma in India is nowhere as good as Sony, with the distributor being responsible for service (in Chennai only), as against 278 Service Centers for Sony!

I would suggest you to go for the Sony 55-300.

Digital Photography

Vipin Joshi

I can answer all questions related to buying/choosing a Digital Camera, SLR Camera, Lenses etc. I will help you choose the best product with a holistic approach, keeping in mind your requirement and budget.

I own 4 Retail showrooms in NOIDA & Delhi, where we deal in Smart Phones, Digital Cameras, D-SLRs & accessories. We have been in the business for over 16 years now. I have gained my knowledge over a period of time by using and comparing the Cameras first hand and understanding the intricacies involved by testing them myself. I have been conducting personal training sessions for my DSLR customers and otherwise, at a cost. I have written an article in the newspaper on 'How to buy a Digital Camera' ( have been interviewed on a news channel (

JOSHI SONS 232, IInd Floor, The Great India Place, Sector-38-A, NOIDA Ph: 0120 4312711, 09811900477 F-8, Ist Floor, Savitri Market, Sector-18, NOIDA Ph: 0120 4312700, 09811900400 G-32, Savitri Market, Sector-18, NOIDA Ph: 0120 4312700, 09811520880 183, New Lajpat Rai Market, Delhi-110006 Ph: 011 23269866, 9811900477

Dainik Jagran, City Plus (October 15 - October 21, 2011). Posted on Video of my GIP showroom coverage with my expert comments on How to choose the right camera (

I completed my schooling from Delhi Public School (NOIDA), Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) from Delhi University and PGDBA (MBA) from Symbiosis, Pune.

Canon Privileged Partner SONY Alpha Flagship Store Exclusive Nikon Showroom Nikon DSLR Zone Olympus Zone Fujifilm Priority Partner

NTPC, ONGC, Indian Oil Corporation, Meinhardt Singapore Pte Ltd, Indian Army, Precision Pipes (PPAP), Russian Embassy, NDTV, Zee News, HCL,, Technip, NDTV, AAj Tak and several others.