Digital Photography/which SLR under 35K

I am planning to buy my first SLR camera, i have shortlisted:
Nikon 3100
Nikon 5100
Canon 550D
Canon 1100
Sony Alpha A37

as per my choice i liked sony alpha A37 (People reviews are bad about sony)

I need help in choosing the best Value for money camera.

I am not a pro photographer, just want to buy SLR to cater to daily needs, so camera should be easy to carry and more money i can save the better it will be.

Hey Ankit

The choices you have mentioned are good choices, though i'd like to refine your search further.

Since you don't want to spend too much, the Canon 1100D, Nikon D3100 & Sony A37 should be your choices. The Canons do not offer Auto Focus during Video whereas the Nikon does (though the speed is slow to the point of being useless). Both brands are almost similar in terms of features and the Canon has no AF motor problems (Nikons have AF motor in body starting D90 & above) which makes it a great camera as such.

The Canon on the other hand has twice the ISO capability (ISO 6400 vs 3200) as compared to the Nikon. The Nikon's AF motor problem means you won't be able to make full use of the 2 cheap & cheerful lenses (70-300 & 50mm f/1.8). Considering all this, the Canon would be a better choice, though not substantially so.

As for the Sony A37, it outperforms both the models by a fair margin & is the easiest to use and get excellent shots out of. Please send me the links where you've read bad reviews, or specific concerns about the Sony, so i can clarify your doubt. In fact it seems tailor made for an Amateur, as it offers the following:

1. Exceptionally fast AF speeds in Live view (see-it-to-believe-it-fast). Focus peaking allows you to see exactly what is in focus by highlighting it during Manual Focus (for Videos & Photos both).
2. Near zero shutter lag (exceptionally fast shot to shot times, evenin live view).
3. The Viewfinder is an exceptionally detailed Electronic one(Nikon & Canon use Optical), which means you see exactly what would be clicked. An Optical Viewfinder shows what you see but not what you get.
4. Auto mode has huge amount of scene modes, especially for low light scenes & creative modes with ISO upto 16000 (25600 with boost)
5. Amazing High speed shooting of 7/12fps (compared to 3/4fps of Nikon & Canon)
6. Lightweight, Magnesium Alloy Body
7. Built in Stabilizer (drastically reduces cost of lenses as others have it in the lens)
8. Full HD video, with really fast focusing during the video with 15 AF points available &    option of 24p or 60p(Canon does not have AF & Nikon is painfully slow)

The Sony would give you exceptional shots every time, effortlessly, with its excellent Auto modes along with complete manual control when needed. Also, both Canon & Nikon have a mono microphone to record audio, whereas the Sony has a built in Stereo microphone, giving much better quality audio.

We are offering training with  Canon & Nikon through the respective companies, and i would be giving the training with the Sony, free of cost in either case.

I hope i have been able to answer your query with a clear and simple explanation. In case anything is not clear, please feel free to write in again.

Digital Photography

Vipin Joshi

I can answer all questions related to buying/choosing a Digital Camera, SLR Camera, Lenses etc. I will help you choose the best product with a holistic approach, keeping in mind your requirement and budget.

I own 4 Retail showrooms in NOIDA & Delhi, where we deal in Smart Phones, Digital Cameras, D-SLRs & accessories. We have been in the business for over 16 years now. I have gained my knowledge over a period of time by using and comparing the Cameras first hand and understanding the intricacies involved by testing them myself. I have been conducting personal training sessions for my DSLR customers and otherwise, at a cost. I have written an article in the newspaper on 'How to buy a Digital Camera' ( have been interviewed on a news channel (

JOSHI SONS 232, IInd Floor, The Great India Place, Sector-38-A, NOIDA Ph: 0120 4312711, 09811900477 F-8, Ist Floor, Savitri Market, Sector-18, NOIDA Ph: 0120 4312700, 09811900400 G-32, Savitri Market, Sector-18, NOIDA Ph: 0120 4312700, 09811520880 183, New Lajpat Rai Market, Delhi-110006 Ph: 011 23269866, 9811900477

Dainik Jagran, City Plus (October 15 - October 21, 2011). Posted on Video of my GIP showroom coverage with my expert comments on How to choose the right camera (

I completed my schooling from Delhi Public School (NOIDA), Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) from Delhi University and PGDBA (MBA) from Symbiosis, Pune.

Canon Privileged Partner SONY Alpha Flagship Store Exclusive Nikon Showroom Nikon DSLR Zone Olympus Zone Fujifilm Priority Partner

NTPC, ONGC, Indian Oil Corporation, Meinhardt Singapore Pte Ltd, Indian Army, Precision Pipes (PPAP), Russian Embassy, NDTV, Zee News, HCL,, Technip, NDTV, AAj Tak and several others.