Digital Photography/Choosing a camera

Question

First of all I would like to thank you for taking time to answer my question.

I lost my 8 yrs old Cannon Powershot in the last 31st December party. The year ended in a very sad note for me as it was such a good buddy.  

I am looking for an mid range digital camera below 15k. Cannon and Nikon are the brands I am looking. These are some of the models I am looking: Canon PowerShot SX160, Nikon L610, Nikon L310, Nikon L810.

My questions are:

1. All these models do not seem to have a view finder. I preferred to have a view finder. Can you suggest a model? My priority is maximum optical zoom, image stabilizer, and good image & "printed" quality that Cannon and Nikon cameras usually gives.  

2. How old are these models? I do not want to buy a old model camera which will be discontinued after a few months. The sales people never answer this question properly. For them all models are recent.

3. These cameras do not have a cover for the lens. What if the lens get scratched? Replacement should be expensive. Can I buy a cover from somewhere?

Answer
Hi Leena

I am really sorry for the loss (of your long time time buddy) and hope that your new buddy will be as endearing as the old one ;-)

As you mentioned, none of these offer View finders, and you would prefer to go for either Canon or Nikon. The models discussed are all reasonably good and the SX160 is the best of the lot owing to the following:

1. It was launched only a couple of months back, so is the latest.
2. It is compact and easy to carry (as against L310 & L810)
3. The Stabilizer is far superior to Nikon (especially during video)
4. The Image Quality is better than Nikon & colours are more natural.

The only thing it does not offer is the SLR type look & a viewfinder. You could also consider the Sony HX10v, which offers the following extras:

1. CMOS sensor for exceptional Low light images without flash.
2. Lithium Ion battery with USB Charging.
3. Handycam rivaling Full HD Videos
4. Photo clicking possible during Video (Dual Recording)
5. Amazing Sweep Panoramas in any angle (Left to Right, Up to Down etc.)
6. 3 Years Warranty (against 2 Years for Canon & Nikon)

Or consider the Fujifilm S4500 which offers the following:

1. An Electronic Viewfinder
2. Full Manual controls
3. SLR style look
4. Exceptional battery back up
5. Exceptional Macro Capability

The print quality can be assured by transferring the Images on a laptop & comparing. Nowadays, almost all brands offer very good Print quality. It is better to buy the best value for money product, rather than a product for its brand value.

In all, if you want to stick to Canon or Nikon, go for the Canon SX160. If you are okay with other brands and want a compact form factor, i would suggest the Sony HX10v. If you want an SLR style camera with a viewfinder, the Fujifilm S4500 would be a good choice.

Hope this helps clear some of your confusion. Please feel free to get in touch for any further clarifications.

Ciao

Vipin

Digital Photography

Vipin Joshi