Digital Photography/dslr and point & shoot camera

QUESTION: i have a budget of 15 k.i go for trekking and lots of trips so i just wanted to know which camera would you suggest in dslr and point & shoot camera.

ANSWER: Hi Rupesh

A budget of 15k would get you only P&S (Point & Shoot) cameras, including a few that look like DSLRs. A DSLR is a camera which has a substantially bigger sensor when compared to P&S cameras (up to 15 times bigger) & also has a provision of interchangeable lenses. So, you have the option of Compact & DSLR style P&S cameras.

The following are the best choices in Compact Cameras:

Canon IXUS 510 or 255 HS, Nikon S 6400/6500/9400. Sony has WX300 which is a really good camera, though it is priced slightly higher.

The following are the best choices in DSLR style Cameras:

Sony H200 or H300, Nikon L 320 or L 820, Canon Power Shot SX 500 IS.

Out of the above the best compact camera for the budget would be Canon IXUS or the Sony, in case you are willing to stretch your budget. In case of the DSLR style cameras, the new Sony H300 takes the cake followed by Canon SX 500.

Please feel free to get in touch for any further queries.

would you suggest fujifilm dslr style point and shoot i have seen nikon don't have manual settings.i have heard that fujifilm service is bad but found they have more service centres than nikon,canon.
basically i am looking at camera which can help me progress to dslr camera easily.

The Fujifilm models are very good looking and perform equally well as well. They also allow manual control over photography, which is not available in the others.

As for the service, i have not heard much negative feedback and the number of service centers are also more than Canon & Nikon, as you mentioned.

I would wholeheartedly suggest you to consider them seriously.

Vipin Joshi

so what models would you suggest in nikon,canon & fujifilm.

I would suggest the following:

Nikon : L820
Canon : SX 500 IS
Sony  : H 300 (Launched yesterday)
Fujifilm : S 6800

Out of all of the above, The Fujifilm is the best value for money buy, considering the price & feature combination. It uses a CMOS sensor for low light shooting, Full HD Video, an EVF (Electronic Viewfinder) and also allows manual control over photography. It also feels much sturdier and better to hold as compared to Nikon & Canon.

Digital Photography

Vipin Joshi

I can answer all questions related to buying/choosing a Digital Camera, SLR Camera, Lenses etc. I will help you choose the best product with a holistic approach, keeping in mind your requirement and budget.

I own 4 Retail showrooms in NOIDA & Delhi, where we deal in Smart Phones, Digital Cameras, D-SLRs & accessories. We have been in the business for over 16 years now. I have gained my knowledge over a period of time by using and comparing the Cameras first hand and understanding the intricacies involved by testing them myself. I have been conducting personal training sessions for my DSLR customers and otherwise, at a cost. I have written an article in the newspaper on 'How to buy a Digital Camera' ( have been interviewed on a news channel (

JOSHI SONS 232, IInd Floor, The Great India Place, Sector-38-A, NOIDA Ph: 0120 4312711, 09811900477 F-8, Ist Floor, Savitri Market, Sector-18, NOIDA Ph: 0120 4312700, 09811900400 G-32, Savitri Market, Sector-18, NOIDA Ph: 0120 4312700, 09811520880 183, New Lajpat Rai Market, Delhi-110006 Ph: 011 23269866, 9811900477

Dainik Jagran, City Plus (October 15 - October 21, 2011). Posted on Video of my GIP showroom coverage with my expert comments on How to choose the right camera (

I completed my schooling from Delhi Public School (NOIDA), Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) from Delhi University and PGDBA (MBA) from Symbiosis, Pune.

Canon Privileged Partner SONY Alpha Flagship Store Exclusive Nikon Showroom Nikon DSLR Zone Olympus Zone Fujifilm Priority Partner

NTPC, ONGC, Indian Oil Corporation, Meinhardt Singapore Pte Ltd, Indian Army, Precision Pipes (PPAP), Russian Embassy, NDTV, Zee News, HCL,, Technip, NDTV, AAj Tak and several others.