Digital Photography/Olympus or Fujifilm

Question
Hi Vipin ,

I planned to but s6800 but the sales person opted  Olympus sz-16 to s6800 .Also he showed elp3 in Olympus(stating elp3 is DSLR).
Is elp3 a good choice if comes to DSLR ?
what is ur opinion on z-16 over s6800 ?

Thanks
Srieni

Answer
Hi

The Olympus SZ-16 is a good compact camera, offering 24x zoom in the smallest of bodies. However, it does not offer either a CMOS sensor with Full HD Video or Manual Controls ND The stabilization, though good, isn't as good as the Fujifilm. The Fujifilm offers 8FPS shoot speed as against 1.5 fps of the Olympus.

The battery capacity of the Olympus is 220 shots whereas the Fujifilm gives as follows:

Alkaline batteries : Approx. 320 frames
Ni-MH rechargeable batteries : Approx. 500 frames
Lithium batteries : Approx. 700 frames

If we were to compare them in terms of features, the Fujifilm is a clear winner. In case the compactness & look of the SZ16 attracts you and you are willing to compromise on these features, you could opt for the SZ16.

The EPL3 is a very good mirror less camera, which offers much better clarity than point & shoot cameras. The zoom though, is restricted, which might not be to the liking of amateurs. In case you want to go for a DSLR and want a compact model and don't plan to buy too many lenses in the future, the EPL3 would make sense. The cost of mirror less lenses is far more than those of DSLRs, making the conventional DSLRs a better buy (future wise) than mirror less.

It would be advisable to prefer a DSLR if you are willing to spend time in learning the manual settings and controls of photography. Point & shoot cameras are easier to operate, more forgiving and come loaded with features, to make photography fun & easy. In case you want to opt for a DSLR and are willing to increase your budget, do let me know so i can advice accordingly.

Regards

Vipin

Digital Photography

Vipin Joshi