Digital Photography/Buying a macro lens / flash

Question
Dear Vipin

I have a Canon EOS M camera with standard lenses, however my wife who is an orthodontics students tens to take intraoral photos with camera. Obviously, to take crispy photos we need a macro lens and a ring flash.
I thought using a EF-S60mm F2.8 MACRO USM lens along with a Sigma EM-140 DG ring flash may improve the quality of photos.
I would be glad if you can suggest anything which can help her to take good photos from her patients' teeth.

Kind Regards,
K1

Answer
Hi K1

A 60mm Macro & a Ring Flash are just perfect for the kind of photography you are talking about, if you want to get crisp, high-quality close-up Intra Oral shots with even lighting, accurate colors, and no shadows.

The built-in pop-up flash on most DSLRs canít be angled down sharply enough from close range to get the mouth evenly lighted.  Also, the intensity and color of the built-in flashes are uninspiring to say the least!

A Macro lens would allow you to get 1:1 magnification from a reasonable distance. I would have suggested the 100mm Macro lens, but since you are using a crop sensor camera, the effective focal length with 60mm will be 100mm (60 x 1.6) anyways.

It is advisable to keep the camera in the 'M' Manual mode and at the lowest ISO possible to compensate for the flash light. Since the area inside the mouth is very small, keep the 'f' number around 20-22 to get the whole mouth in focus. Using a Tripod/Monopod is advisable to get steady shots, depending on your preference and space available.

Please feel free to get any more clarity, if needed.

Regards

Vipin

Digital Photography

Vipin Joshi