Digital Photography/first dslr buying guide

i want to buy a entry level dslr but it hard to choose as so many are available in market.

I will be clicking landscape and potrait photos both day and night.

I have shortlisted some Nikon D5100, Canon 600D, Sony alpha 58. All come with 18-55mm lens.

Have seen the reviews, comparisons but still i can't decide which one to go for..

Please help me out..

Hi Suraj

All the three models that you have mentioned are the best options in the market and the reviews suggest the same. The Nikon does not allow you to preview your exposure before clicking, whereas the Canon & Sony do. The Nikon & Sony have AF during Video whereas Canon only has a provision of manual focus during Video. The Canon though, reproduces better & more natural colors. Overall, between the Canon & Nikon, i would suggest you to go for the Canon 600D.

Now, if we were to compare the Canon 600D vs the Sony A58, the Sony offers the following:

1. Exceptionally fast AF speeds in Live view (see-it-to-believe-it-fast). Manual focus has the option of focus peaking, wherein the focused subject is highlighted clearly, allowing you to click out of focus backgrounds with ease.
2. Near zero shutter lag (exceptionally fast shot to shot times in live view)
3. Auto mode has huge amount of scene modes, especially for low light scenes & creative modes. The Panorama mode would allow you to click huge wide angle shots, without buying expensive lenses.
4. Amazing High speed shooting of 8fps (compared to 3fps of Nikon & Canon)
5. Lightweight, Magnesium Alloy Body
6. Built in Stabilizer (drastically reduces cost of lenses as others have it in the lens)
7. Full HD video (24p or 60i), with really fast focusing during the video with 15 AF points available (Canon does not have AF & Nikon is painfully slow). Full manual controls are available, while recording Videos.

The Sony would give you exceptional shots every time, effortlessly, with its point and shoot interface & excellent Auto mode. Also, both Canon & Nikon have a mono microphone to record audio, whereas the Sony has a built in Stereo microphone, giving much better quality audio.

I hope i have been able to answer your query with a clear and simple explanation. In case anything is not clear, please feel free to write in again.

Digital Photography

Vipin Joshi

I can answer all questions related to buying/choosing a Digital Camera, SLR Camera, Lenses etc. I will help you choose the best product with a holistic approach, keeping in mind your requirement and budget.

I own 4 Retail showrooms in NOIDA & Delhi, where we deal in Smart Phones, Digital Cameras, D-SLRs & accessories. We have been in the business for over 16 years now. I have gained my knowledge over a period of time by using and comparing the Cameras first hand and understanding the intricacies involved by testing them myself. I have been conducting personal training sessions for my DSLR customers and otherwise, at a cost. I have written an article in the newspaper on 'How to buy a Digital Camera' ( have been interviewed on a news channel (

JOSHI SONS 232, IInd Floor, The Great India Place, Sector-38-A, NOIDA Ph: 0120 4312711, 09811900477 F-8, Ist Floor, Savitri Market, Sector-18, NOIDA Ph: 0120 4312700, 09811900400 G-32, Savitri Market, Sector-18, NOIDA Ph: 0120 4312700, 09811520880 183, New Lajpat Rai Market, Delhi-110006 Ph: 011 23269866, 9811900477

Dainik Jagran, City Plus (October 15 - October 21, 2011). Posted on Video of my GIP showroom coverage with my expert comments on How to choose the right camera (

I completed my schooling from Delhi Public School (NOIDA), Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) from Delhi University and PGDBA (MBA) from Symbiosis, Pune.

Canon Privileged Partner SONY Alpha Flagship Store Exclusive Nikon Showroom Nikon DSLR Zone Olympus Zone Fujifilm Priority Partner

NTPC, ONGC, Indian Oil Corporation, Meinhardt Singapore Pte Ltd, Indian Army, Precision Pipes (PPAP), Russian Embassy, NDTV, Zee News, HCL,, Technip, NDTV, AAj Tak and several others.