Digital Photography/Complement to 18-55mm lens for NEX

Hi, I own a NEX with 18-55mm  kit lens, which other lens would be a good additional lens to buy? I usually take family pics, portraits, family occasions etc. I am just graduating from a point and shoot and am not a pro. Do you suggest the Sony 50mm f1.8 / Sigma 30mm f2.8 or Sigma 19mm f2.8?

Hi Shyam

The E Mount 18-55 that you are using is a good all round lens for the kind of photography you do.

The lenses you've mentioned are all really good prime lenses, but with varying angles of view and different applications. The Sony 50mm f/2.8 is primarily a Portrait lens which is also handy in low light conditions & for exceptional depth of field (background blur) shots. The Sigmas in question are also good lenses, but are wider than the Sony, which will allow you to take landscapes & group shots as well.

You could also consider the Sony 16mm f/2.8 which would be a good wide angle lens in comparison to the Sigmas. In a nutshell, in case you want to do candid portraits, street photography, depth of field shots etc, the Sony 50mm would be better. The only problem would be that it wouldn't be as wide as the Sigma 19mm or Sony 16mm, which might be a bother for wide shots in tight places.

Considering you already have an 18-55, the Sony 50mm seems like the best option, as it allows for more creative shots. Please feel free to get in touch for any further queries.

Digital Photography

Vipin Joshi

I can answer all questions related to buying/choosing a Digital Camera, SLR Camera, Lenses etc. I will help you choose the best product with a holistic approach, keeping in mind your requirement and budget.

I own 4 Retail showrooms in NOIDA & Delhi, where we deal in Smart Phones, Digital Cameras, D-SLRs & accessories. We have been in the business for over 16 years now. I have gained my knowledge over a period of time by using and comparing the Cameras first hand and understanding the intricacies involved by testing them myself. I have been conducting personal training sessions for my DSLR customers and otherwise, at a cost. I have written an article in the newspaper on 'How to buy a Digital Camera' ( have been interviewed on a news channel (

JOSHI SONS 232, IInd Floor, The Great India Place, Sector-38-A, NOIDA Ph: 0120 4312711, 09811900477 F-8, Ist Floor, Savitri Market, Sector-18, NOIDA Ph: 0120 4312700, 09811900400 G-32, Savitri Market, Sector-18, NOIDA Ph: 0120 4312700, 09811520880 183, New Lajpat Rai Market, Delhi-110006 Ph: 011 23269866, 9811900477

Dainik Jagran, City Plus (October 15 - October 21, 2011). Posted on Video of my GIP showroom coverage with my expert comments on How to choose the right camera (

I completed my schooling from Delhi Public School (NOIDA), Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) from Delhi University and PGDBA (MBA) from Symbiosis, Pune.

Canon Privileged Partner SONY Alpha Flagship Store Exclusive Nikon Showroom Nikon DSLR Zone Olympus Zone Fujifilm Priority Partner

NTPC, ONGC, Indian Oil Corporation, Meinhardt Singapore Pte Ltd, Indian Army, Precision Pipes (PPAP), Russian Embassy, NDTV, Zee News, HCL,, Technip, NDTV, AAj Tak and several others.