Digital Photography/Complement to 18-55mm lens for NEX

Question
Hi, I own a NEX with 18-55mm  kit lens, which other lens would be a good additional lens to buy? I usually take family pics, portraits, family occasions etc. I am just graduating from a point and shoot and am not a pro. Do you suggest the Sony 50mm f1.8 / Sigma 30mm f2.8 or Sigma 19mm f2.8?

Thanks
Shyam

Answer
Hi Shyam

The E Mount 18-55 that you are using is a good all round lens for the kind of photography you do.

The lenses you've mentioned are all really good prime lenses, but with varying angles of view and different applications. The Sony 50mm f/2.8 is primarily a Portrait lens which is also handy in low light conditions & for exceptional depth of field (background blur) shots. The Sigmas in question are also good lenses, but are wider than the Sony, which will allow you to take landscapes & group shots as well.

You could also consider the Sony 16mm f/2.8 which would be a good wide angle lens in comparison to the Sigmas. In a nutshell, in case you want to do candid portraits, street photography, depth of field shots etc, the Sony 50mm would be better. The only problem would be that it wouldn't be as wide as the Sigma 19mm or Sony 16mm, which might be a bother for wide shots in tight places.

Considering you already have an 18-55, the Sony 50mm seems like the best option, as it allows for more creative shots. Please feel free to get in touch for any further queries.

Regards

Vipin

Digital Photography

Vipin Joshi