Digital Photography/Focal length

I read somewhere as
Focal length: 3,85mm (equivalent to 37,0mm)
Why there is two figures like 3.85mm & 37.0mm please explain.

Hi Raja

The focal length of a lens (for Digital Cameras)is always measured on a Full frame camera. A full frame camera is one, where the sensor size is equivalent to a 35 mm film negative. In any 35 mm film camera, a 28 mm lens is a wide-angle lens, and a 200 mm lens is a long-focus lens.

However, now that digital cameras have mostly replaced 35 mm film cameras, there is no uniform relation between the focal length of a lens and the angle of view. Since the camera sensor size determines angle of view and the sensor sizes are not standardized in all Digital camera, unlike a 35 mm film, the 35 mm equivalent focal length of a particular lens–sensor combination is the focal length that one would need for a 35 mm film camera to obtain the same angle of view.

A Full frame DSLR sensor (Eg: Canon 5D Mark II) is 36 x 24 mm in size, an APS-C DSLR sensor (Eg: Nikon D5100) is 23.6 x 15.6 mm and Point & Shoot cameras' sensor (like Sony HX 200v) is 6.17 x 4.55 mm. Since the size of the sensors are different, the focal length will also vary accordingly. Thus, to standardize the focal lengths and allow us to compare different cameras, the focal length is always compared as 35 mm equivalent.

Please feel free to get in touch for any more queries.

Digital Photography

Vipin Joshi

I can answer all questions related to buying/choosing a Digital Camera, SLR Camera, Lenses etc. I will help you choose the best product with a holistic approach, keeping in mind your requirement and budget.

I own 4 Retail showrooms in NOIDA & Delhi, where we deal in Smart Phones, Digital Cameras, D-SLRs & accessories. We have been in the business for over 16 years now. I have gained my knowledge over a period of time by using and comparing the Cameras first hand and understanding the intricacies involved by testing them myself. I have been conducting personal training sessions for my DSLR customers and otherwise, at a cost. I have written an article in the newspaper on 'How to buy a Digital Camera' ( have been interviewed on a news channel (

JOSHI SONS 232, IInd Floor, The Great India Place, Sector-38-A, NOIDA Ph: 0120 4312711, 09811900477 F-8, Ist Floor, Savitri Market, Sector-18, NOIDA Ph: 0120 4312700, 09811900400 G-32, Savitri Market, Sector-18, NOIDA Ph: 0120 4312700, 09811520880 183, New Lajpat Rai Market, Delhi-110006 Ph: 011 23269866, 9811900477

Dainik Jagran, City Plus (October 15 - October 21, 2011). Posted on Video of my GIP showroom coverage with my expert comments on How to choose the right camera (

I completed my schooling from Delhi Public School (NOIDA), Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) from Delhi University and PGDBA (MBA) from Symbiosis, Pune.

Canon Privileged Partner SONY Alpha Flagship Store Exclusive Nikon Showroom Nikon DSLR Zone Olympus Zone Fujifilm Priority Partner

NTPC, ONGC, Indian Oil Corporation, Meinhardt Singapore Pte Ltd, Indian Army, Precision Pipes (PPAP), Russian Embassy, NDTV, Zee News, HCL,, Technip, NDTV, AAj Tak and several others.