Digital Photography/Sony alpha 57 bird photography

QUESTION: Sir, I have recently bought a Sony a57 camera with the 18-55 kit lens and a 70-300 Sony zoom lens (which cost 13,990/-).
I was earlier using a Nikon d90 and a sigma 70-300 Apollo gg macro lens, I got very sharp and detailed bird pictures (also in flight) with the d90 and sigma lens.

However with the Sony a57 camera and the sony 70-300 lens I am not getting sharp results also the focussing seems blurred and contrast remains high with washed out . I have tried shutter mode with high shutter speeds i.e above 1500 also tried without steady shot and also tried sports mode and also hgh frame rate, I used to get excellent results with the d90 and sigma lens combination..

Kindly guide me.

Dr Tushar More

ANSWER: Dear Tushar

The lenses in comparison are not similar as the comparable model to Sigma 70-300 APO is the Sony 55-300, though the difference in the Sony 75-300 isn't as drastic.

The D90's focus is nowhere as fast the Sony A57 and it offers a faster shoot speed as well. Technically speaking, there should be no problem capturing the same shots on a Sony. The lenses can only be compared when exactly the same shots are clicked on both, as lighting and various other factors influence the final outcome. We have had exceptionally positive feedback from very satisfied bird photographers, for the Sony A57.

If possible, kindly visit our showroom at TGIP mall with your kit and our staff would check the camera & lens for any manufacturing defect and/or setting problems.

Please feel free to clarify any more doubts you may have.

QUESTION: Hi sir thanks a lot. I have changed the Sony 75-300 and have bought the tamron 70-300 usd 4-5.6 and now am getting  sharp and beautiful photographs of birds. Also the overall clarity of the lens is great.
Can you suggest a good super sharp lens with midrange zoom capability for Sony a57 and also a good alternative for landscape photography. Is it a possibility to get used Sony lenses in India.

Hi Tushar

I'm glad your problem is resolved and you're happy with your shots.

Please elaborate the kind of focal length you are talking about. Do you mean like an 18-200 kind of lens, or 17-50 type but with a bigger aperture. If you want wide and zoom in one lens with good sharpness the best would be the Sony 18-135 followed by Sony 16-105. The Tamron 18-200 is good but not as sharp as the Sony. If you are okay with 17-50 type of focal length, you could look at Sony 16-50 f/2.8 or Tamron 17-50 f/2.8.

The longer focal lengths (18-135, 18-200 etc.) will be slower in comparison to the fast wide angles (17-50, 16-50 f/2.8). The faster wide angle lenses would allow you better low light shots, including night landscapes.

You can try ebay, OLX kind of websites for second hand lenses. In case you need more understanding on these lenses, feel free to write again.

Digital Photography

Vipin Joshi

I can answer all questions related to buying/choosing a Digital Camera, SLR Camera, Lenses etc. I will help you choose the best product with a holistic approach, keeping in mind your requirement and budget.

I own 4 Retail showrooms in NOIDA & Delhi, where we deal in Smart Phones, Digital Cameras, D-SLRs & accessories. We have been in the business for over 16 years now. I have gained my knowledge over a period of time by using and comparing the Cameras first hand and understanding the intricacies involved by testing them myself. I have been conducting personal training sessions for my DSLR customers and otherwise, at a cost. I have written an article in the newspaper on 'How to buy a Digital Camera' ( have been interviewed on a news channel (

JOSHI SONS 232, IInd Floor, The Great India Place, Sector-38-A, NOIDA Ph: 0120 4312711, 09811900477 F-8, Ist Floor, Savitri Market, Sector-18, NOIDA Ph: 0120 4312700, 09811900400 G-32, Savitri Market, Sector-18, NOIDA Ph: 0120 4312700, 09811520880 183, New Lajpat Rai Market, Delhi-110006 Ph: 011 23269866, 9811900477

Dainik Jagran, City Plus (October 15 - October 21, 2011). Posted on Video of my GIP showroom coverage with my expert comments on How to choose the right camera (

I completed my schooling from Delhi Public School (NOIDA), Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) from Delhi University and PGDBA (MBA) from Symbiosis, Pune.

Canon Privileged Partner SONY Alpha Flagship Store Exclusive Nikon Showroom Nikon DSLR Zone Olympus Zone Fujifilm Priority Partner

NTPC, ONGC, Indian Oil Corporation, Meinhardt Singapore Pte Ltd, Indian Army, Precision Pipes (PPAP), Russian Embassy, NDTV, Zee News, HCL,, Technip, NDTV, AAj Tak and several others.