Digital Photography/Digital camera below 10,000 Rs

QUESTION: Dear sir,
        I want to buy a digital camera below 10000 rupees. But I  am confused between Sony , Nikon & Canon.

Please suggest me a good digital camera with automatic functions,
I don't know anything about camera sensor,camera lense & Megapixels.
Is the Sony cybershot DSC-W690 a good choice???
or what about Nikon Coolpix S3400???

ANSWER: Hi Piyush

There are several good options in this price range.

There is the Canon IXUS 510, priced at Rs.8995, with 10 Megapixels & 12x Zoom, CMOS Sensor, Full HD Video and WiFi. It offers exceptional value for money, as the prices have been dropped by almost 50%!

Also, the Sony WX60 for Rs.9995 with 16 Megapixels, 8x Zoom, CMOS Semsor & Full HD Video makes a compelling case for itself.

These would be the best 2 models, as the Nikon S3400 is priced at Rs.7950 with 20 Megapixels, 7x Zoom, HD Video & CCD Sensor which is inferior to the above 2 models. The CMOS Sensors offer better low light photographs & Fast continuous shooting, along with Camcorder like Full HD recording.

In case of any further queries, please feel free to call.

QUESTION: Thank you very much for the valuable information.

But IXUS 510 is just a 10 MP camera.
What's so special in it??

But which one is better IXUS 510 or Sony WX60

The Megapixels alone are not what make a good camera. It is a variety of factors, including the type of Sensor (CCD or CMOS), HD or Full HD Video, Optical Zoom etc.

The special thing about the IXUS 510 is that the price is very competitive for the feature set offered. The WX60 would be a great product, with better low light photos & superior Video recording. The WX60 is more Megapixels and allows clicking photos while recording Videos! Just that the Canon has 10x Zoom against the 8x of Sony, otherwise the WX60 is a better overall model.

In case you can stretch your budget a little, the WX200 would be a very good buy. It has a 10x Zoom and WiFi, which can be used to convert your smartphone into a remote control, with Camera View transferred on your Smartphone screen. All functions like Zoom, clicking, video etc. are controllable from the phone.

Please feel free to get in touch for any further queries.

Digital Photography

Vipin Joshi

I can answer all questions related to buying/choosing a Digital Camera, SLR Camera, Lenses etc. I will help you choose the best product with a holistic approach, keeping in mind your requirement and budget.

I own 4 Retail showrooms in NOIDA & Delhi, where we deal in Smart Phones, Digital Cameras, D-SLRs & accessories. We have been in the business for over 16 years now. I have gained my knowledge over a period of time by using and comparing the Cameras first hand and understanding the intricacies involved by testing them myself. I have been conducting personal training sessions for my DSLR customers and otherwise, at a cost. I have written an article in the newspaper on 'How to buy a Digital Camera' ( have been interviewed on a news channel (

JOSHI SONS 232, IInd Floor, The Great India Place, Sector-38-A, NOIDA Ph: 0120 4312711, 09811900477 F-8, Ist Floor, Savitri Market, Sector-18, NOIDA Ph: 0120 4312700, 09811900400 G-32, Savitri Market, Sector-18, NOIDA Ph: 0120 4312700, 09811520880 183, New Lajpat Rai Market, Delhi-110006 Ph: 011 23269866, 9811900477

Dainik Jagran, City Plus (October 15 - October 21, 2011). Posted on Video of my GIP showroom coverage with my expert comments on How to choose the right camera (

I completed my schooling from Delhi Public School (NOIDA), Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) from Delhi University and PGDBA (MBA) from Symbiosis, Pune.

Canon Privileged Partner SONY Alpha Flagship Store Exclusive Nikon Showroom Nikon DSLR Zone Olympus Zone Fujifilm Priority Partner

NTPC, ONGC, Indian Oil Corporation, Meinhardt Singapore Pte Ltd, Indian Army, Precision Pipes (PPAP), Russian Embassy, NDTV, Zee News, HCL,, Technip, NDTV, AAj Tak and several others.