Digital Photography/Photography Question..

Question
Good day
Can you tell me:
1. What is the difference between DSLR and SLR cameras?
2. Can both DSLR and SLR cameras take photos and shoot videos. If not are there any that could do both?
3. Can you recommend 3 - 5 great brands and models that professionals use to shoot the highest quality images and videos that is under $600. In other words a professional DSLR or SLR that can do everything that professionals need?
4. What brands would you recommend for one who wants to take professional photos / shoot professional videos for advertisements etc. that need to be of the highest quality.

Answer
Hey

1. SLR stands for Single Lens Reflex cameras, which were primarily the film cameras of the past. They use interchangeable lenses and are also technically known as Interchangeable Lens Cameras. The 'D' has been added for 'Digital' which means that the image is captured on a Digital Sensor, instead of a film. The captured light details are then converted into data which can be processed later (RAW file) or readily processed and made available file (JPEG). Nowadays, even if someone uses the term SLR, the person would invariably be referring to a DSLR only.

2. As explained above, the medium of storage of light in an 'SLR' is a film, which can only take photographs. The DSLRs are capable of capturing both photos and videos.

3. The difference between professional DSLRs and consumer DSLRs is primarily the sensor size. A sensor is a rectangular device which stores light information, the size of which determines the quality, depth of field, dynamic range etc. of the Image. The Professional DSLRs use a sensor called 'Full Frame' whereas the Amateur or Enthusiast range uses an APS-C (Adavnced Photo System-Compact)Sensor. For example, the normal point and shoot cameras use a sensor with an area of 28 mm.sq, whereas the APS-C DSLRs are 370 mm.sq and the Full Frame are 864 mm.sq.

3&4. The best products in the $600 range would be the Nikon D3100, D3200 & D5100. In Canon you could consider the T3i and in Sony your options would be the SLT A58 & A57. Out of the above, the best products would be from the Canon & Sony, taking into account the quality if Image, Video Quality & manual control, quality, cost & availability of lenses. As on date the Sony models would offer you the best in terms of the features & quality and would be excpetional value for money as well.

Please feel free to ask any further question you may have regarding the above.

Regards

Vipin

Digital Photography

Vipin Joshi