Digital Photography/Question Pictures

Question
Good day
Can you tell me:
1. What is the difference between DSLR and SLR cameras?
2. Can both DSLR and SLR cameras take photos and shoot videos. If not are there any that could do both?
3. Can you recommend 3 - 5 great brands and models that professionals use to shoot the highest quality images and videos that is under $600. In other words a professional DSLR or SLR that can do everything that professionals need?
4. What brands would you recommend for one who wants to take professional photos / shoot professional videos for advertisements etc. that need to be of the highest quality.

Answer
"SLR" refers to "Single-Lens Reflex" film cameras, and "DSLR" refers to "Digital Single-Lens Reflex cameras, which use an electronic sensor rather than film to capture an image. DSLR cameras have, for the most part, replaced SLR cameras.

From Wikipedia: "A single-lens reflex (SLR) camera is a camera that typically uses a mirror and prism system (hence "reflex", from the mirror's reflection) that permits the photographer to view through the lens and see exactly what will be captured."

Many modern DSLR cameras will also shoot video. The quality of the video varies from model to model, but many DSLRs can shoot excellent HD-quality video. In an experiment a few years ago, Canon 5D DSLR cameras were used to shoot an entire network television program, with great results.

Since I cannot recommend any particular make or model, for question #3 and #4, I suggest that you visit DPreview.com, a website devoted to testing and listing just about every DSLR on the market.  There you can find examples, tech specs, prices and reviews of DSLRs from all manufacturers. in all prices ranges.

I hope this helps.  

Digital Photography

Chuck Lantz