Digital Photography/buying digital camera

Question
QUESTION: i want to buy a travel zoom compact camer i have sorted out three 1 Sony H90 2 Canon SX240 3 Nikon S8200 which offers best image quality among these?

ANSWER: Hi Danyal

The above mentioned Cameras are all good models, with some feature differences.

Out of the 3, only the Sony is a CCD Sensor camera with HD (720p) Video recording. The Canon & Nikon models are with CMOS Sensors and Full HD (1080p) Video recording. The CMOS sensor handles low light situations better, giving you better clarity even in less light.

If the quality is to be compared, the Canon is more accurate in terms of colours and detailing and has a better Image Stabilization feature. The Optical Zoom of the Canon is 20x as against 14x in the Sony and you have manual control options in the Canon as well. All in all, the Canon SX 240 would be a better model to go for.

Please feel free to ask for any further clarifications.

Regards

Vipin

QUESTION: Thanks for your reply. Yes Canon sx240 has more optical zoom and also have manual controls  speed and aperture priority and also have very positive reviews on the web regarding picture quality which it offers.
         There are cameras like Nikon P310 Canon S100, Canon S110 these are enthusiast cameras which do not have have much zoom range inspite of high price tag but they have fast aperture lenses F2.0 or below my question is what things should be looked while buying
digital camera Camera sensopr only cmos instead of ccd or lens aperture at wide angle because Canon SX240 has F3.5 aperture while other two have F3.3 aperture at wideangle?

Answer
Hey Danyal

The models you have mentioned have bigger apertures, allowing more light to reach the sensor. Theoretically, these would give better results in low light, as against smaller aperture cameras. One should definitely look at aperture while buying a camera, though it's relevance isn't as drastic as, say in a DSLR. Since the sensors are much smaller in the point & shoot cameras (approx. 1/13th the size of a DSLR semsor), the aperture benefit will not be as dramatic.

If you primarily shoot wildlife & birds, Optical Zoom would be of paramount importance rather than the aperture value. You could also look at the Panasonic FZ 200, which is the only camera to offer 24x Optical Zoom & a constant f/2.8 aperture throughout the zoom range. This would give you the best of both worlds, the excellent Image Quality of the Panasonic being the proverbial 'icing on the cake'.

In case we were to compare the Nikon P310 & Canon S100/110, the Canon would have an edge as it has a bigger sensor than the Nikon (1/1.7" vs 1/2.3"), Higher ISO, RAW Image mode & a touch screen (allowing touch focus).

If your budget permits, you could consider the Panasonic FZ 200 or even an entry level DSLR, if you wish to learn photography and take it up as a serious hobby, as a DSLR would allow you complete control over your Images.

Please don't hesitate to ask any further questions.

Regards

Vipin

Digital Photography

Vipin Joshi