Digital Photography/shutter speed

Hi Vipin,
I want to buy a digital camera with a shutter speed fast enough that I can capture birds and other fast moving creatures with one shot (not multiple shots).
Also I would like it to be small so that I can carry it in my fanny pack.
Thanks for your help.

Hey Jo

Capturing birds and fast moving creatures is one of the most difficult and complex type of photography.

Ideally, you need a camera with a fast shutter speed to freeze the moment, but it would be advisable to take multiple shots to increase the probability of getting the perfect shot. You would need a camera with manual controls, that allow you to set the shutter speed manually.

The following models allow you to do that:

Canon : Powershot SX 160, SX170, SX 240, SX260
Sony  : HX50v

The above models are the only pocketable ones having reasonable zoom and manual controls. It would be advisable to go for longer zoom (and bigger) cameras, as the subjects mentioned would be usually far away.

Please feel free to get in touch for any further clarifications.

Digital Photography

Vipin Joshi

I can answer all questions related to buying/choosing a Digital Camera, SLR Camera, Lenses etc. I will help you choose the best product with a holistic approach, keeping in mind your requirement and budget.

I own 4 Retail showrooms in NOIDA & Delhi, where we deal in Smart Phones, Digital Cameras, D-SLRs & accessories. We have been in the business for over 16 years now. I have gained my knowledge over a period of time by using and comparing the Cameras first hand and understanding the intricacies involved by testing them myself. I have been conducting personal training sessions for my DSLR customers and otherwise, at a cost. I have written an article in the newspaper on 'How to buy a Digital Camera' ( have been interviewed on a news channel (

JOSHI SONS 232, IInd Floor, The Great India Place, Sector-38-A, NOIDA Ph: 0120 4312711, 09811900477 F-8, Ist Floor, Savitri Market, Sector-18, NOIDA Ph: 0120 4312700, 09811900400 G-32, Savitri Market, Sector-18, NOIDA Ph: 0120 4312700, 09811520880 183, New Lajpat Rai Market, Delhi-110006 Ph: 011 23269866, 9811900477

Dainik Jagran, City Plus (October 15 - October 21, 2011). Posted on Video of my GIP showroom coverage with my expert comments on How to choose the right camera (

I completed my schooling from Delhi Public School (NOIDA), Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) from Delhi University and PGDBA (MBA) from Symbiosis, Pune.

Canon Privileged Partner SONY Alpha Flagship Store Exclusive Nikon Showroom Nikon DSLR Zone Olympus Zone Fujifilm Priority Partner

NTPC, ONGC, Indian Oil Corporation, Meinhardt Singapore Pte Ltd, Indian Army, Precision Pipes (PPAP), Russian Embassy, NDTV, Zee News, HCL,, Technip, NDTV, AAj Tak and several others.