Digital Photography/USB Flash Drive Camera

Question
Dear Chuck

Is it possible to integrate Camera electronics (Lens and Camera integrated Circuits) in USB Flash Drive ?.

There will be a Button on the USB Flash Drive to take photos. The Inbuilt memory on the flash drive will capture and store the Photos.

Later on the USB Flash Drive will be integrated with Wi-Fi / Bluetooth technology to transfer Camera images to other Cameras, Smartphones etc.

The Limitations could be the smaller Width and not the Length  
of the Flash Drive.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
This question is outside my area of direct knowledge, but based on what little information I have, plus information I've gathered from people I know who are directly involved in the design of micro-cameras and lenses - including those used in optical computer mice - it would be possible to build what you've proposed.  

As you mentioned, the only dimensional limitation would be the width and not length of the Flash Drive. I would guess that thickness, from top to bottom, could also be variable.

The only problems would be camera setting controls and viewing a preview image to set those controls. With the limited space on a Flash Drive, any photos taken would have to be fully automatic as far as f-stop, shutter speed, focus, ISO, and white balance are concerned, unless you piggy-backed the camera/Flash Drive onto another device, such as a smart phone or tablet, to set those controls.

I hope this helps.  

Digital Photography

Chuck Lantz