Digital Photography/zeiss lenses

QUESTION: hello,...
new carl zeiss milvus lenses,are they designed and
optimized for full frame camera bodies ?

Yes, the new Carl Zeiss Milvus lenses are designed and optimized for full frame camera bodies.

QUESTION: o.k. but, is it safe, physically & also digitally,
to mount & use these lenses, also on nikon's other digital cameras,
which are not full frame ?
i hope it does, and if it is, then many digital image makers,
worldwide, who can or may afford to buy an carl zeiss lens,
shall be able to make excellent quality images...

It is perfectly safe to mount these lenses on their crop sensor (APS-C) variants, since the mounts of the brands are the same. But since the sensor size is smaller on an APS-C camera, the focal length of the lens will be multiplied by the crop factor.

For example, the Nikon D800 is a Full Frame sensor with a sensor area of 864 mm sqaure and the D5500 is an APS-C sensor with the sensor area being 366 mm square. The crop factor in this case would be 1.5x. This means if a 50 mm Full Frame lens is mounted on the D800, the focal length will be exactly 50 mm. If the same lens is mounted on a D5500, it will give us a focal length of 75 mm (50 x 1.5), since the camera sensor is smaller and cannot see the whole view.

So, you can use these lenses on smaller sensor DSLRs, but the focal length will be calculated accordingly. That's the reason there are separate good quality lenses, designed for crop sensor cameras. Hope this answers your query.

Digital Photography

Vipin Joshi

I can answer all questions related to buying/choosing a Digital Camera, SLR Camera, Lenses etc. I will help you choose the best product with a holistic approach, keeping in mind your requirement and budget.

I own 4 Retail showrooms in NOIDA & Delhi, where we deal in Smart Phones, Digital Cameras, D-SLRs & accessories. We have been in the business for over 16 years now. I have gained my knowledge over a period of time by using and comparing the Cameras first hand and understanding the intricacies involved by testing them myself. I have been conducting personal training sessions for my DSLR customers and otherwise, at a cost. I have written an article in the newspaper on 'How to buy a Digital Camera' ( have been interviewed on a news channel (

JOSHI SONS 232, IInd Floor, The Great India Place, Sector-38-A, NOIDA Ph: 0120 4312711, 09811900477 F-8, Ist Floor, Savitri Market, Sector-18, NOIDA Ph: 0120 4312700, 09811900400 G-32, Savitri Market, Sector-18, NOIDA Ph: 0120 4312700, 09811520880 183, New Lajpat Rai Market, Delhi-110006 Ph: 011 23269866, 9811900477

Dainik Jagran, City Plus (October 15 - October 21, 2011). Posted on Video of my GIP showroom coverage with my expert comments on How to choose the right camera (

I completed my schooling from Delhi Public School (NOIDA), Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) from Delhi University and PGDBA (MBA) from Symbiosis, Pune.

Canon Privileged Partner SONY Alpha Flagship Store Exclusive Nikon Showroom Nikon DSLR Zone Olympus Zone Fujifilm Priority Partner

NTPC, ONGC, Indian Oil Corporation, Meinhardt Singapore Pte Ltd, Indian Army, Precision Pipes (PPAP), Russian Embassy, NDTV, Zee News, HCL,, Technip, NDTV, AAj Tak and several others.