Dining Out/Non-alcoholic

EricTroy wrote at 2014-02-13 20:21:28
Mark, I appreciate your answer to this question. I think a restaurant with a good bar and a good drink menu, should offer tasty and creative drinks from the bar that are non-alcoholic. But, like you say, you don't have to drink to have a good time.

However, I find your assumption that everybody who drinks in a restaurant does it because they think it is the only way to have a good time to be perhaps, just a little bit judgemental. Some people really do enjoy the taste of beer, or wine, or a cocktail or even whiskey. While, of course, the alcohol is relaxing, as a non-drinker, you'd be surprised that they might have ordered say, their favorite beer, for the taste alone. Perhaps there is a catch-22 in there since you could say that the alcohol influences the enjoyment. I still do not think it is justifiable to "scorn" everyone who orders an alcoholic drink. I do agree, though, wholeheartedly, that the question "why don't you drink" is extremely rude and I appreciate your pithy responses!  

Dining Out

Teri Davis Newman