Disability Law/Disability

Question
Hello. I was recently affected by a perforated bowel and complications from a perforated ulcer. I have not been able to work or go to school. Do I qualify for any disability insurance or medicaid. Could I claim this condition as a reason to get disability?

Answer
You might be eligible for Social Security Disability Benefits which could make you eligible for either medicaid or medicare.  In order to be eligible for Social Security Disability, your perforated bowel and complications from a perforated ulcer must keep you from doing any and all work for a period of 12 months.  In order to qualify, it is helpful to have a doctor's support saying that you are unable to work because of your illness.  The process can take a long time though, so if you are looking for immediate help, this might not be the answer.

There may be a way to get Medicaid through social services faster. In North Carolina there are methods to apply for Medicaid more quickly.  Some of these programs are different from state to state.  You might want to call and ask about any state programs.

There are other "disability" benefits sometimes available through your work that some employers provide.  Depending on where you work, you might want to ask them if they have any disability coverage for their employees.

I hope this helps.  

Disability Law

David A. Jones