Disneyland/disneyland

Question
Hi Steve, Im looking at booking a holiday to LA in the new year, but having trouble working out your holiday breaks. Would you be able to tell me the least busy months, as my son has autism and I cant see him waiting an hour for a ride.Mays prices are
great, how is it then? I also wondered wether we should stay somewhere central to the sights, or move from 1 motel to another.Any help would be appreciated, thanks Kerryn

Answer
Hi Kerryn,

Early to mid-May is an excellent time to go. The weather is usually very mild. We may have cloudy conditions, caused by a thick marine layer (fog) which is common later in May, which is called "Gray May" locally.

The best advice I can give you is to check out touringplans.com. You can subscribe to their site and get day-by-day attendance predictions for Disneyland, which are usually an indicator of crowd levels in general. It's only a few bucks, and it's really worth it.

Since things are so spread out here, I highly recommend staying in Anaheim while you are exploring Disneyland and Orange County, and in Hollywood while you are exploring Los Angeles. This is especially important at places like Disneyland, where you pay the day rate regardless of what time you arrive. It's so much easier staying close (I particularly like the Howard Johnson Anaheim and the Candy Cane Inn), and just walking 5 minutes to the front gate. If you stay far away, you could easily spend an hour or more in traffic, then have to drive that same distance back to your hotel at the end of a long day.

For parks like Disneyland, check out mouseplanet.com. You get a lot of advance information about what is happening in and around the park.

Have fun!

Disneyland

Steve DizKahuna