Hi Steve, Im looking at booking a holiday to LA in the new year, but having trouble working out your holiday breaks. Would you be able to tell me the least busy months, as my son has autism and I cant see him waiting an hour for a ride.Mays prices are
great, how is it then? I also wondered wether we should stay somewhere central to the sights, or move from 1 motel to another.Any help would be appreciated, thanks Kerryn

Hi Kerryn,

Early to mid-May is an excellent time to go. The weather is usually very mild. We may have cloudy conditions, caused by a thick marine layer (fog) which is common later in May, which is called "Gray May" locally.

The best advice I can give you is to check out You can subscribe to their site and get day-by-day attendance predictions for Disneyland, which are usually an indicator of crowd levels in general. It's only a few bucks, and it's really worth it.

Since things are so spread out here, I highly recommend staying in Anaheim while you are exploring Disneyland and Orange County, and in Hollywood while you are exploring Los Angeles. This is especially important at places like Disneyland, where you pay the day rate regardless of what time you arrive. It's so much easier staying close (I particularly like the Howard Johnson Anaheim and the Candy Cane Inn), and just walking 5 minutes to the front gate. If you stay far away, you could easily spend an hour or more in traffic, then have to drive that same distance back to your hotel at the end of a long day.

For parks like Disneyland, check out You get a lot of advance information about what is happening in and around the park.

Have fun!

Steve DizKahuna

I can answer questions about Disneyland, California Adventure, Downtown Disney, restaurants and hotels of the Disneyland Resort, and local information (I`m also an expert in the California Category). I am also knowlegeable in Disneyland history and upcoming events. If you are coming to DLR with your family, I can give you some insight, since I have kids aged 6-23. If you have an attendance question, remember that predicting attendance is very tricky business, and I can only make my best guess based on past patterns. Hope to see you there!

My family and I are annual passholders at the Disneyland Resort, and we go there about once per week. We, have eaten at every restaurant (even a few that are no longer open), and stayed at the hotels of the resort (even though we live 10 miles away). My wife and I have each been going to Disneyland since 1965.