Disneyland/Disney parks MLK weekend

Hi Steve,

We have 4 adults and 3 boys (4, 6, 7) going to Disney on Jan. 18 and 21. We are wondering if we should consider adding another day for the parks on Sat, Jan 19 due to the holiday weekend and increased crowds? Saturday is the only day we could add if we did a third day.

I want to make sure there is enough time to enjoy the new attractions and get a full experience but I don't like the idea of a crowded Saturday at the park.

Any suggestion on what you think would be best...sacrifice patience for another day?

Thank you!

Hi Kate,

That's really a tough call. Since you are coming from MN, I think I would go a third day. Crowds will be VERY high that weekend (9 out of 10), and they will also have a half-marathon that weekend, increasing crowds more than usual.

I'm fortunate enough to be 8 miles from the park (as the pixie flies), but my thinking is this: if you're coming from Minnesota, it's not like you're able to just drive here on a whim. Go the extra day, and pace yourself. Going to the parks is a marathon, not a sprint. I would recommend that one day you round up everyone extra early and get there for park opening at DCA, so you can ride the new Radiator Springs Racers without having to wait 2 hours or more. Also, get a fastpass for world of color, and go back to the hotel mid day for a nap.

Have fun!

Steve DizKahuna

I can answer questions about Disneyland, California Adventure, Downtown Disney, restaurants and hotels of the Disneyland Resort, and local information (I`m also an expert in the California Category). I am also knowlegeable in Disneyland history and upcoming events. If you are coming to DLR with your family, I can give you some insight, since I have kids aged 6-23. If you have an attendance question, remember that predicting attendance is very tricky business, and I can only make my best guess based on past patterns. Hope to see you there!

My family and I are annual passholders at the Disneyland Resort, and we go there about once per week. We, have eaten at every restaurant (even a few that are no longer open), and stayed at the hotels of the resort (even though we live 10 miles away). My wife and I have each been going to Disneyland since 1965.