Disneyland/conventions/dates/dinner/and other tips

Question
QUESTION: Hi Steve,
I have my family Disneyland trip set to be in the park Monday April 29th thru Friday May 3rd. I have put a huge effort in finding dates that were "off season" and that work with our schedules. I stumbled upon the Anaheim convention calendar and see that there is 1 convention on the Wednesday, 2 on Thursday, and 2 on Friday. Does this mean Disney will be packed? Also, I think Disney is so magical at night. My trip is after daylight savings so I am worried we will miss out on the nighttime magic. The 12 month "typical" calendar says disney may close at 8, 9, or 10 on week nights, do you have more insight? Thank you so much for your time!

ANSWER: Hi Jamie,

Not to worry.

-As you saw, there are MANY events at the ACC. Most have little to no effect on attendance at Disneyland. One of the events looks like a bunch of medical salesmen. Overall, you should have very low to moderate attendance. There are some conventions that DO affect attendance, like cheerleader competitions, and NAMM (which is going on this week), but your week should be great. I think I'll be looking for Stephen Tyler this weekend when I go to Disneyland.

-Nighttime shows go on. On the weekends, Fantasmic and World of Color have two shows. In the summer, the Fantasmic show starts at 9PM, the fireworks start at 9:35, and World of Color starts at 9. No worries there. If the park is closing early, then the night shows move up.

QUESTION: Thank you! I just wanted to pick your brain one more time (hopefully). Can you give me any advise on a place to have dinner? We will be having a character breakfast at one of the hotels and lunch at the blue bayou but where do you recommend for dinner? Do you know any secrets on securing a reservation somewhere that we can view the fireworks. Or do you know of a fabulous viewing area of the fireworks that is not in front of the castle? Or any other fabulous tips?  I Love Disneyland! :))

Thanks again for your help. It's really cool you take the time to help make others have a fabulous disneyland experience.

Answer
Hi Jamie,

Carthay Circle Restaurant in DCA is a great dinner location. When I was last there, I had the bacon-wrapped shrimp, and it was unbelievably delicious. The entire menu is superb. If you eat at Carthay Circle, you can get priority viewing for the World of Color show as well. Ask when you call 714-781-DINE.

In terms of watching the fireworks, you can book a tour that includes a special viewing area for fireworks. They set aside a special set of benched at the train station in Town Square, and I can vouch for the location. I've taken many pictures of Main Street from the area immediately behind these benches. Call 714-781-TOUR to get the details. I'm not sure which tour you need to take, perhaps the "Walk in Walt's Footsteps" tour. If you want to watch for free, I've found that the "It's a Small World" courtyard is good, as is the area by Rivers of America.

When eating at Blue Bayou, ask for a water-side table. Worth the extra few minutes you have to wait.

Have fun!

Disneyland

Steve DizKahuna