Distance Learning/aba approved paralegal studies

Sarah wrote at 2008-05-26 15:46:46
Hi, Melissa,

I came across your question because, like you, I am looking for an ABA approved, 100% online paralegal course and have been getting rather tired of the LONG hours I've put in sorting through junk schools.

However, check out Pierce College:

http://peirceonline.net/index.learn?action=welcome

That is the link to their online site. Not sure what type of degree you're looking for, but they offer Associate's, Bachelor's, and Certificate. All 100% online and the program is ABA approved.

This may be what we've both been looking for.

Good luck!

Sarah

Cj wrote at 2008-10-21 16:30:24
Melissa,

I recently completed my AS in Paralegal Studies through Peirce College which is located in Philadelphia, PA. This is an excellent online, ABA-Approved paralegal programs. I enjoy the whole program atmosphere. Take a moment and check them out. They offer the same degree online as on campus that is what I like about this school. They also offer a BS and that is what I am working on now, I graduate December 2009 with that degree.

Maria wrote at 2008-10-26 04:41:33
I too have tried to search for an online ABA approved institution offering an Associates degree, and it is extremely frustrating that non of these are clearly defined.  I have read in a couple of sites that online schools are not accredited - need affirmation.

Kristie wrote at 2008-11-12 19:34:05
Hi Melissa,

I was having the same problem, but I did find 1!! South University offers a paralegal studies program that is completely online, with the exception of 4 on-ground classes that can be taken at any approved school (the school will give you a list of them). They are also approved by the ABA. I even checked the ABA site to make sure. A link that may help you make up your mind about this school is http://online.southuniversity.edu/slides/. It gives a lot of details about the school, program, and the direct link to apply to the school.

Jennifer wrote at 2009-04-08 03:29:16
I myself am having the same problem. However I have read several documents supporting the new theory that many employers are actually choosing distance educated applicants OVER tradition ones. Reasoning: in order to be successful at  distance/online program you must demonstrate enormous self-discipline and you are required to do a great deal of independent work. Which is exactly what a paralegal is required to do also. The ABA does absolutely approve distance courses. Peirce College out of PA is one. They do require you take 2 classes on a ABA approved campus. Additionally they are EXTREMELY expensive. Therefore I am still looking. They do offer 7 week classes so an associate may be granted in 18 months a bachelor in 36. I have been going in circles like you and VERY frustrated. I hope this helps you a little. Please forward any info you may have acquired since your post.

Terryfl wrote at 2009-06-14 00:29:31
Peirce College offers 100% online Paralegal Studies.

http://www.peirce.edu/DegreesPrograms/Paralegal.html

John wrote at 2009-08-06 16:55:06
I am an admissions rep. for Davenport University in Michigan.  We have an ABA approved paralegal program, and the ABA does required it to be in seat.  The requirements are for the major portion of the degree.  The foundations, i.e. math, English, ect. can be done online but not the torts, constitutional law, ect.

Toya wrote at 2010-05-19 18:12:05
ABA Approval

The ABA has approved approximately 260 paralegal/legal assistant training programs that meet its guidelines. The ABA does not accredit distance learning or online paralegal programs. Seeking ABA approval is voluntary on the part of the institution, and there are many quality programs that have chosen not to seek approval. However, the ABA guidelines are useful in evaluating any program you might want to consider.  

Rita wrote at 2010-09-09 08:37:43
You're not going to find a program that is 100% online for Paralegal services. The ABA requires that at least 4 classes be taken in a "traditional" classroom, much like real estate school and other type specific education. It's not feasible to teach document preparation courses when you need hands on experience in it. This has been my experience in any online school accredited by the ABA, which is what you really want.  

ParalegalStudent10 wrote at 2010-12-23 18:14:21
Pierce College (Philadelphia, PA and Center for Advanced Legal Studies (Houston, TX) both offer programs that are mostly online they are both ABA approved as well.  There is certain courses you must take in a campus/classroom setting.  

Terra wrote at 2012-06-22 19:31:04
This school is online and ABA approved

http://www.paralegal.edu/about/

susan wrote at 2012-12-23 16:57:26
Try the program at eastern Kentucky university. It's ABA approved and almost completely online with the exception of two weeks in the summer.

Distance Learning

Dr. Cynthia J. Wolfe