Distribution of Products/Bar code Scanner

Question
Sir,
I have a project in my company where we need to automate the packaging process.
It goes like this:
Description: Material arrive at docking area. They are checked for packaging. and if packaging found not as per standard they are rejected.
Problem: As material arrives at a very fast rate there is a need to automate thew process
Work Done so Far: Till now I am able to make a macro code in Excel wherein if an item number is pasted into a specific cell it searches for pdf attached to that number and automatically displays that pdf. That pdf contains the information regarding packaging standard
Requirements: 1.) Now to execute this automatically I want a scanner that can scan a 2-D bar code which contains all information like item number, Quantities, Vendor code etc., extracts only item number and paste that item number into that specific cell of Excel.Please note I want Excel to paste the data and not as if it is typing into that cell.Is it possible?
2.) It should be wireless as we have huge area to cater to

Also I already have Honeywell's Voyager 1202g(Wireless) and Psion Teklogic 7535 Handheld in my company. Please tell me if it is possible to do these things with any of this scanner.
Thankyou in Advance

Regards
Saurabh Mundeja

Answer
Hi and Good day

Thanks for the query

I understand that you have the 1202g which is a bluetooth scanner, if otherwise, please let me know and this scanner is a linear barcode reader capable of 1D only. Whereas 7535 is a windows based handheld computer and scanner capable of 1D and 2D and with wireless LAN capabilities.

Your concern is scanning the material arriving in the docking area and to check the packaging standards and concur. Since multiple packaging standards are available you want the item barcode to be scanned and retrieve the relevant packaging checklist.

Using excel and retrieving the PDF is a work around process and may not be feasible in many scenarios as you need to continuously update all the relevant information. I understand that you must be using a enterprise or application which has the information related to packaging standards.

The best option is to write a small piece of code on the handheld and once this 7535 scans the item barcode, the packaging check list is automatically retrieved and displayed on the computer monitor screen or tv so that the checks can be done.

Ideally would suggest that you create multiple staging points and group the items together at the first level so that similar packaging check list is only necessary and this reduced time and effort.

The simple application on the handheld can be written pretty easily and If necessary can point you out to someone who has similar applications and you can buy it economically and use.

Again, please note that this application can be improvised for the entire GRN process as well in a simple way

Trust have covered your thoughts and please revert for additional information/ clarifications

regards
Shaju

Distribution of Products

Shaju Madhavan