Divorce Issues/Inappropriate relationship

Question
I have been dating my boyfriend for about 3 yrs now, last year we bought a house together and moved in. Well I always knew he and his ex wife got along but not to the point that I know now living with him. They have a 6 yr old son, he goes back and forth from both houses every other day. She will contact us through group text messages 2-4 times a day telling us how their son is doing or wants to ask how he's doing at out place. I've recently felt like I am in a relationship with their past relationship. I don't feel its appropriate to discuss everything about their child on a daily basis, am I wrong to feel this way? Sometimes it's messages about previous friends, or something she wants to share with him. I am having a hard time establishing a relationship with their son so her everyday involvement doesn't help me. Am I wrong for feeling like this?

Answer
It's an old story you've told.
I'm sorry that it's news to you.
The relationship between divorced parents of a 6 year old will be quite intense and complex.

And it makes good sense to ask, "why are these people divorced?"

I think your reading on the situation is quite accurate: "I am in a relationship with their past relationship."
Actually you've minimized it.
You are in a relationship with their current and future relationship.

Not sure about your feeling that it's not "appropriate to discuss everything about their child on a daily basis."
After all, that's what parents do

I suspect that the reality is even more complex than you've described.

They have a rich and complex relationship as co-parents, old friends, old lovers, ex partners.

If their son seems to exclude you from that family, that too is probably an accurate reading of the situation.
It makes sense. Often children are more protective of family boundaries than parents are.
It might even be the case that you are in a rivalry with the mother, your partner's ex for the primary position in his life.

I suspect this as long been the case and that the situation you've described isn't at all new.
I'm curious what gave you the confidence to buy the house with this man.
Did you then discuss his relationship with his ex, with his divorce.
How long had he been divorced at that time?
My best guess (without speaking to you further) is that you had an intuition about this arrangement and
for some reason you set it aside, or thought it was workable, or maybe just underestimated it.

But my hunch is that many more cards are on the table and you see what you have to deal with.

I bet it nagged at you for a while before you finally decided to ask someone about this.
I'd be curious how many others you spoke to and what they said.

My own sense is that you are seeing the reality of this and now you have to decide how to respond.
Also, there is a good chance that his ties to his ex and their child are as strong, or stronger than his ties to you.

I'd need to talk to you to help you figure out how to play this hand.
Let me know what you think and whether you want to talk with me.

Philip Alan Belove, Ed.D.  

Divorce Issues

Philip Belove, Ed.D.