You are here:

Divorce Issues/divorce lawyer issues


I was divorced in September of last year. I have paid for my service. I am still waiting for my finalized divorce papers so I can go back to my maiden name.Also in the mean time probabtion has no idea of the child support order because my lawyer has yet to send the papers to probation.Its been 6 months.Everytime I call him he says he will get it together and send it out for me to look at and sign.This has been going on for 6 months.I don't know where im suppost to turn to get help with this matter.Any suggestions?

Hi Melinda.

Please note I am not an attorney in New Jersey. I am a Realtor in California. I can only give you personal experience advice.

Not receiving court ordered child support is a definitely a problem. The order is separate from non-receipt of the paperwork. Regardless of whether or not you have the paperwork in hand, the money is still owed. Depending on the employment status and how much money the children's father makes, you should be eligible to get the 6 months back pay. In the meantime, I would write the attorney stating your dilemma. Send the letter certified to their office. You then have proof of having informed the attorney of your lack of appropriate support for your children due, in part, to your attorney's lack of completing the job.

Also:  Contact your local bar association and ask them what you can do to encourage your attorney to complete their job. And / or checkout website and see if you can an answer there.

Naturally, once the paperwork for the child support has been worked out, you will also have it in hand regarding the change of your last name.

I sincerely hope that helps, Melinda! Good luck to you!

Divorce Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Kathryn Hisert; Realtor


As a Realtor specializing in assisting divorcing homeowners, I am able to provide "What to do about the house?" options. There are trade-offs to every transaction in life. How to equitably divide property at a time when emotions are running high can keep people from making the right long term decisions, and/or even considering how many there are. There are advantages and risks (emotional and financial) to each decision that needs to be uncovered. I can assist in this process. Please note: I am a Realtor and am only professionally qualified to answer questions directly related to the decision making process of what to do with your primary, investment and vacation property. My website provides details.


Certified Real Estate Divorce Specialist (1 of less than 10 in California) Certified Distress Property Expert

N. San Diego County Association of Realtors California Association of Realtors National Association of Realtors


CREDS (Certified Real Estate Divorce Specialist) CDPE (Certified Distress Property Expert)

Past/Present Clients

©2017 All rights reserved.