Divorce Issues/step families

Question
Me and my partner have been living together for 4 yrs, i have 3 kids from a previous marriage.We are still struggling to get the best out of our relationship and my partners relationship with the kids,she also has a big problem with the ex.every seems to be against us!just after some honest advice on dealing with these situations.As we want to stay together but are finding it difficult.
many thanks Jamie

Answer
Hi Jamie,
thanks for the question.

I'd really need to know some specifics.

I can tell you a few things in general.

First, ex's can be this way. It's a very common problem.  If that's any comfort.

A lot depends on how that earlier relationship ended and how soon our new partner appeared. If she appeared too soon
then your ex will read the new one as the cause of the break up or something in that general area...even if it's a distortion,
and she'll direct her anger at you onto the new partner.
There are ways to handle it, but I'd need to know more specifics.

Second, if the mother of the kids hates the new partner, then it's hard for the kids to
feel comfortable with the new partner. They'll feel like they are taking sides.
All this happens at a subtle, implicit level, often isn't named, is hard to think about, especially for the kids,
and dealing with it takes some subtlety and patience. Again, I'd need specifics.
The devil is in the details.

Feel free to follow up.

Philip Alan Belove, Ed.d.

Divorce Issues

Philip Belove, Ed.D.