Divorce Issues/Divorce


My husband and I have been separated for 4 years, and now I am ready to file for Divorce. My question is I live in Utah and he lives in Illinois, and we were married in Michigan. I just moved to Utah 3 months ago, how do I file for Divorce? We have no Assets, No financial debts, and no children. What do I need to do? Or how do I get the process started?

Hi  Shelly.

As a Realtor I am unable to give you an answer with 100 percent certainty it will be correct. However, I do believe you will need to file in the state you were married.  You may want to check out the Lawyers.com website.  

Best wishes to you, Shelly. 'Hope everything works out well for you.

Divorce Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Kathryn Hisert; Realtor


As a Realtor specializing in assisting divorcing homeowners, I am able to provide "What to do about the house?" options. There are trade-offs to every transaction in life. How to equitably divide property at a time when emotions are running high can keep people from making the right long term decisions, and/or even considering how many there are. There are advantages and risks (emotional and financial) to each decision that needs to be uncovered. I can assist in this process. Please note: I am a Realtor and am only professionally qualified to answer questions directly related to the decision making process of what to do with your primary, investment and vacation property. My website provides details.


Certified Real Estate Divorce Specialist (1 of less than 10 in California) Certified Distress Property Expert

N. San Diego County Association of Realtors California Association of Realtors National Association of Realtors


CREDS (Certified Real Estate Divorce Specialist) CDPE (Certified Distress Property Expert)

Past/Present Clients

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.