Divorce Issues/alimony

Question
hello, I've been married for fourteen years to a verbally and physically abusive man..I've worked really hard to be in a position to care for myself and our two teenagers, and now make twice as much as he does.. this last year I finally got the courage to leave but now instead of threatening my life, he says if I divorce him that he will take all my money as well.. up until this point I've been doing everything myself in terms of filing but now do I need an attorney? will a judge allow an abusive man to get alimony too?

any info you can give would be great!

Answer
Dear Neids,

When it comes to abusive marriages, I always recommend an attorney, and women's advocacy resources.  Most towns have a women's abuse shelter, with many resources.  Contact them for assistance and support in your area.  Alimony is becoming much more rare, even for women, these days.  I think if you go in, expecting very little, just seeking safety and freedom, I think the judge will see your husband for what he is.  Be sure to have as much support as you can.
I wish you well.

Kind Regards,
KD Liz
www.thelandofgoshen.com

Divorce Issues

Kindred Beisinger penname K D Elizabeth Beisinger