Divorce Issues/alimony

hello, I've been married for fourteen years to a verbally and physically abusive man..I've worked really hard to be in a position to care for myself and our two teenagers, and now make twice as much as he does.. this last year I finally got the courage to leave but now instead of threatening my life, he says if I divorce him that he will take all my money as well.. up until this point I've been doing everything myself in terms of filing but now do I need an attorney? will a judge allow an abusive man to get alimony too?

any info you can give would be great!

Dear Neids,

When it comes to abusive marriages, I always recommend an attorney, and women's advocacy resources.  Most towns have a women's abuse shelter, with many resources.  Contact them for assistance and support in your area.  Alimony is becoming much more rare, even for women, these days.  I think if you go in, expecting very little, just seeking safety and freedom, I think the judge will see your husband for what he is.  Be sure to have as much support as you can.
I wish you well.

Kind Regards,
KD Liz

Divorce Issues

Kindred Beisinger penname K D Elizabeth Beisinger

I can answer general questions regarding separation, property, and some custody questions. I cannot answer legal questions or specific questions pertaining to individual states and counties. I can offer support through the pending time, as well as offering assistance and ideas as you move on as a single individual. I can tell you how to avoid repeat pitfalls and help you learn to leave old baggage out of new relationships. I can help you work through the contemplative time of "what if" and "if only." I am able to offer advice in dealing with unnecessary guilt, undeserved judgment, and share insight as to discerning between concerned friends, family and coworkers and nosey gossips.

I have been divorced more than once and am now married to my soulmate. We are living the exact life we both wanted to build 30 years ago, long before we ever met. Well actually it's better than I had dared hope.