Divorce Issues/Right of First Refusal

Question
I have a situation that I cannot seem to find an answer.  Without getting into the fine details of the parenting plan, basically, I have a right of first refusal regarding childcare, meaning I can have the kids if my ex cannot.  I will be out of town during my visitation time.  My ex will be at all day training during the days I'm out of town.  I have a nanny that I would like to take the kids during the time they would be with me since my ex is unavailable.  My ex wants her boyfriend to watch the kids while she is at the training.  This could possibly also cover an instance where we are both out of town.  

My ex is the custodial parent.  Can she refuse my request the have the kids at my house with my nanny and have them with her boyfriend?

Answer
You know, I'm not sure.

I was tempted to refuse the question as being beyond my expertise because it struck me basically as a legal
question. It all depends on the way the agreement was drawn up.  
According to that, as you said, you could argue that you have the right of first refusal.

But the fact that it is dispute over whether your right of first refusal includes your handing the child to the (we will presume) extremely competent care of your housekeeper ... that is another matter.

At the practical level, it might be that you will be out of town also in the evening whereas she will return home in the evening from her training
to be able to with your son in the evening.  So maybe according to those measures her house (including the care of her boyfriend) is the better choice (assuming he will be as competent and emotionally open and safe as  your housekeeper.

But there is something more profoundly wrong with the whole picture and if I'm right
(I hope you don't mind my speculating here)
I imagine you can see it
but you prefer to dismiss it...

That, if you don't mind, is where I would challenge you.

The fact that making such a decision which involves such legalistic hair splitting says something about the continuing nature of your relationship with each other, post-divorce.  it says that there is much unresolved between you. Often such contretemps are signs of
profound lingering resentment and bitterness.  Often she difficulties suggests a continued petty fighting even though the divorce is over.

In such cases, the ones who will suffer, of course, are the children.
Almost always they are far more sensitive to the continuing enmity between the parents
than the parents imagine.  The parents minimize these occurances.
The children study them and think about them.
They have elaborate theories to explain them.
If parents ordinarily have to get into legal fine points about such matters,
the children will be the first to be aware of it and any time they consider any request that might involve both, they will hold this in mind.

if I am correct in this, may I also suggest you speak to me about how to resolve this, get to a more stable divorce and continue creating a wholesome and more integrated life for you, your ex and your children. It's good to move past the legal divorce
to an emotional one.

You  may reach me directly at drbelove@drbelove.com to arrange a private consultation.  

My apologies if I've offended you. I'm only making this guess based on my years of experience with others and this might not at all pertain to you.

My best wishes,

Philip Alan Belove, Ed.D  

Divorce Issues

Philip Belove, Ed.D.