Divorce Issues/Making Divorce easier on the Children.

Do any divorced parents do this?  How often does it happen? Does it happen more and more?

The child stays in the house, while the parents alternately move in and out.  The children stay put.  For example one month, the mom lives at "kids" house, then next month, She moves out, and the father moves in, at "kids" house, then a month later he moves out and the mom moves back in again, continuously. The Children have a stable home and environment.

The parents each would have to find a new place to stay in between. They caused the divorce, why should the children be the ones to uproot their lives.  The parents should. M

Yes, there are parents who rotate in and out of the home where the child lives permanently. It works best when the parents, although no longer suited to be married, have found common ground on sharing of adult chores, levels of organization of the household, etc. With these agreements in place there are fewer disagreements in general -- including discipline, homework, the child's extra curricular activity, etc., as the parents' focus remains on the child's well being not the parents' problems with one another. If the two of you are very good friends, you may choose to rotate in and out of a second home versus each of you having separate ones from each other beyond that of the primary residence. Please note: Although these arrangements could sound great, most couples do not retain a friendship level that adequately facilitates the rotation.

Best wishes to you and your family. It won't be easy. But, you're on a good track -- being thoughtful...

Divorce Issues

Kathryn Hisert; Realtor

As a Realtor specializing in assisting divorcing homeowners, I am able to provide "What to do about the house?" options. There are trade-offs to every transaction in life. How to equitably divide property at a time when emotions are running high can keep people from making the right long term decisions, and/or even considering how many there are. There are advantages and risks (emotional and financial) to each decision that needs to be uncovered. I can assist in this process. Please note: I am a Realtor and am only professionally qualified to answer questions directly related to the decision making process of what to do with your primary, investment and vacation property. My website provides details.

Certified Real Estate Divorce Specialist (1 of less than 10 in California) Certified Distress Property Expert

N. San Diego County Association of Realtors California Association of Realtors National Association of Realtors

CREDS (Certified Real Estate Divorce Specialist) CDPE (Certified Distress Property Expert)