Dodge Repair/2006 Grand Caravan map light

I have both map lights blown on my 2006 Caravan.  The bulb is a PC579, which I had to order - most auto parts dealers don't stock it.  I read online how to replace, and was successful in removing the old bulbs.  However ... I can't get the new bulbs to even go into the socket.   And I can't put the old ones back in either.  I read someone else online who filed off plastic from the new bulbs until he got them to insert, but he didn't describe what he filed off.  Any insights on replacing these bulbs?

Hi Kevin,
I looked at the '06 manual and found nothing remarkable about replacing the bulb except to suggest that you remove the overhead console to get a better 'shot' at the process. There is one screw on the front of the console, then holding onto the sides of the console pull it straigt down to release it from the clips at the rear. Disconnect the plugs for the wiring supplies. Install is the reverse.
Please let me know what you learn.
Sorry for the delay but I just found your question in the 'pool' to which it had been referred by Kevin.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).