Dodge Repair/99 Dodge Intrepid: starter motor clicks only

Question
My 99 Dodge Intrepid will not start. It just makes a single click noise. I have been told by many it is most likely the starter. Is there anything I can do short of completely replacing the starter?

Answer
Hi Adam,
If the click is coming from the solenoid switch located on the starter motor itself then your circuit is good. The only possbile causes are a weak battery or poor connections of the battery cable clamps, or the stater unit itself (the motor and the solenoid switch which are usually sold as a unit). So check the cable clamps and as well check black wires on the - post clamp at their far ends to be sure those too are clean and tight. Then try charging the battery and consider if it is near the end of its warranty. Finally, have a helper try the starter while you tap on the side of it with a hammer which may jar it into action because of wear on the the inner contact of the motor itself. That may get you going again for a while.
If the click is very soft and comes from the powerbox rather than the motor then the starter relay could be bad.
Please rate my answer (see below).
Thanks,
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston