Dodge Repair/99 Dodge Intrepid: starter motor clicks only

My 99 Dodge Intrepid will not start. It just makes a single click noise. I have been told by many it is most likely the starter. Is there anything I can do short of completely replacing the starter?

Hi Adam,
If the click is coming from the solenoid switch located on the starter motor itself then your circuit is good. The only possbile causes are a weak battery or poor connections of the battery cable clamps, or the stater unit itself (the motor and the solenoid switch which are usually sold as a unit). So check the cable clamps and as well check black wires on the - post clamp at their far ends to be sure those too are clean and tight. Then try charging the battery and consider if it is near the end of its warranty. Finally, have a helper try the starter while you tap on the side of it with a hammer which may jar it into action because of wear on the the inner contact of the motor itself. That may get you going again for a while.
If the click is very soft and comes from the powerbox rather than the motor then the starter relay could be bad.
Please rate my answer (see below).

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).